Is IP45 fan ok for bathroom Zone 1?

Had an electrician visit today and agree a price to wire up a fan in my bathroom. He's also going to put me a new RCD CU in. But I'm knocking the hole in the wall and installing the fan which I'm buying online. My question is about the accessories - I'm getting a length of 100mm PVC hose, 2 jubilee clips and a grill to go on the outside wall. Does this grill need to have a spigot on it to attach the hose to it or is that not necessary? Most of the grills I've seen online don't appear to have a spigot attached (or maybe it's just not mentioned/shown). Any advice welcome, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Dear Zacccc
I have done this a few times as a DIYer.

My suggestions (and please let professionals correct me). This is all presuming that fan is going through outside wall.

Use a core drill for tidy and fast job. More expensive (I used locat hire shop and cost about £45) but fast and tidy job.
Angle the hole slightly down from inside of house so any condensation goes outside and not back into fan.
Do not use a flexible tube, but Use a solid tube. A flexible tube will collect condensation and you do not want any tear to form an opening into your wall cavity. (I bought the tube from wickes which i think has part number 713030 or 228690). For me I mortar (and sometimes no more nails) this tube place.
The fan on the inside wall and the grill on the outside wall then slot into the tube and are screwed onto respective walls. No need for an air tight fit, or for jubelee clips.
I got the outside grill from B&Q as they have brown coloured ones which I preferred to the wickes ones (sad I know).

One last item.... If you are putting the fan above a window remember that there will be a supporting beam above the window that you cannot (or rather must not) drill though.

One last last item. If you do hire a core drill consider if you want to vent your tumble drier to outside as this is the same process as above and you can do job at same time.

Hope this helps. Sfk

Thanks SFK.

Yes, I am going through an outside wall. Also, if you remember, I asked if the grill on the outside wall needed to have a spigot on it for the hose (or tube, as you advise) to be attached to, but you don't mention this.

What I'm a bit concerned about with the method you suggest is that if the hole is going to run very slightly down from the inside and I'm to use a solid tube for the connection then I'm thinking that there might be difficulties connecting it to the fan at one end and the spigot at the other as these will be slightly out of line with each other.

Also, I'm a bit puzzled with your comment "no need for an airtight fit". I would have thought that if the fit isn't airtight then you're going to get condensation leaking into the bricks around the hole.

Thanks again and I'd appreciate any comments you have on what I've written here.

Zacccc
The fittings are sloppy (loose) between the fan and the tube as all the tolerances are not tight. Also The angle you are putting into the slope should be small so again no issue on getting the fan in.

Yes my method says that the condensation will run down the outside wall. But this will be significantly smaller than the rain that hits the wall.

And this water runningbdown the outside wall is a lot better than it running down the player of your inside wall.

And having the tube flat (no angle) means that the condensation runs down both inside and outside.

And finally saying all this, there will not be much condensation as the pipe is only two bricks long.

So this all means that an airtight fit is not used between the fan, tube and outside grill. They all slot into each other allowing servicing and replacement at any time.

Sfk

Sponsored Links
Once again, SFK, thank you for your response but I'm still unclear about whether or not the outside grill that I buy needs to have a spigot behind it for the pipe to connect to, which was my original query, or is it just a grill with nothing behind it? Most of the grills I've seen online don't appear to have a spigot attached (or maybe it's just not mentioned/shown).

The grille is just flat - just fit the tube/pipe so that it is level with the grille.

It's just a cover to look better and not really necessary - except ones with flaps stop back-draughts.

Thanks for that EFL.

The reason I asked is that the fan I'm going to get is the Silent 100CZ. It's for sale on the TLC Electrical website and they also offer accessories including a 4" wall grill with a back draught shutter and this has a spigot on it. Hence, my question. So from your reply I'm guessing it doesn't much matter whether it has a spigot or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back