Is it a defining moment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every now and then a relatively unknown comes along and changes politics forever. (Thatcher, Blair etc).

Is Clegg the next one? Has the genie of voting reform been let out of the bottle?

My guess is that it has.

It can't be stopped now.

The Tory dinosaurs will just have to get used to it.

Sponsored Links
The only reason the Limp Dems want proportional representation is because it's the only way they could ever hope to gain seats in Govt. No other reason whatsoever. Forget all they tell you about it being a fairer system. If it's so fair, why haven't the X Factor, Britains Got Talent, Strictly Come Dancing, Dancing on Ice etc etc , not adopted this for their phone in voting? Would it be fairer?
Can you explain in simple terms to me how PR actually works? I just seem to be unable to get my head round it.

not THAT i can agree with

it would be brilliant if the UK could practise some consensus politics as that way we can actually use some of the clever wotsits in governmentt who would never been in there own right.

also they may decided to break up the UK YAY

:)

If the Lib Dems couold actually win seats, we wouldn't even be talking about this. All this is is a plot for power...even if it means creating a permanently hung and unstable government.

I hope Cameron turns Nick down and stays in opposition until the Lab/Lib coalition ****s up and we get a Tory majority at the next election in 6 months time.

Sponsored Links
Every now and then a relatively unknown comes along and changes politics forever. (Thatcher, Blair etc).

Is Clegg the next one? Has the genie of voting reform been let out of the bottle?

My guess is that it has.

It can't be stopped now.

The Tory dinosaurs will just have to get used to it.

Again, which alternative universe did you get this from? Or do you just make stuff up to see if you get a reaction? The Lib Dems are not in a strong a position as they were before the result, there vote is down and they lost seats, largely from tacitily endorsing brand Labour. They seriously underestimated the loathing the nation had for brown, and backed the wrong horse.

The only reason the Limp Dems want proportional representation is because it's the only way they could ever hope to gain seats in Govt. No other reason whatsoever. Forget all they tell you about it being a fairer system. If it's so fair, why haven't the X Factor, Britains Got Talent, Strictly Come Dancing, Dancing on Ice etc etc , not adopted this for their phone in voting? Would it be fairer?
Can you explain in simple terms to me how PR actually works? I just seem to be unable to get my head round it.

which version because listening to a debate about it on the radio, there are at least 7 different versions of pr. now how would the british public vote for that in a referendum?

Every form of voting has its problems. Fptp is the fairest and most productive for a strong government. They could do with updating the voting areas more often to keep an equal number of people in each though.

We'll end up with a Lib/Lab coalition who will quickly bring about PR. When it goes to the next election the Tories will be sunk. Yay. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

We'll end up with a Lib/Lab coalition who will quickly bring about PR. When it goes to the next election the Tories will be sunk. Yay. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

...Even by PR you know that the tories would still hold more power right??
I have never met anyone that shows cuch glee at the proposition of our country being ruined.

That said when we have PR and botht labour and tories realise things aren't working, they can just scrap it again ;)

If you don't know how it works, how do you know it isn't fair?

Consider some possibilities:
in country A, one party gets 35% of the votes but 55% of the seats, so forms a majority government. Another party gets 55% of the votes but 35% of the seats so forms an ineffectual opposition.

In country B, one party gets 35% of the votes and 35% of the seats. Another party gets 55% of the votes and 55% of the seats so forms a majority government.

which is "fairer"?
which has a "strong government"?

country A has FPTP
country B has PR

You've got to hand it to JohnD - he knows how to make a very good case.

If you don't know how it works, how do you know it isn't fair?

Consider some possibilities:
in country A, one party gets 35% of the votes but 55% of the seats, so forms a majority government. Another party gets 55% of the votes but 35% of the seats so forms an ineffectual opposition.

In country B, one party gets 35% of the votes and 35% of the seats. Another party gets 55% of the votes and 55% of the seats so forms a majority government.

which is "fairer"?
which has a "strong government"?

country A has FPTP
country B has PR

Please note that these results suggest that there are only a few areas that want the party with 55% of the vote and a majority of the places actually want the party with 35%.

So I say, party that has the the larger numbers of areas who want them in should be in power.

I have never met anyone that shows such glee at the proposition of our country being ruined.

Remember, joe lives in a parallel universe where the tories lost the elcetion and labour won. Oh and dont forget to factor in that he's tard. He posts such utter ****** he clearly MUST live in some sort of parallel universe, or alternative reality, none of the stuff he posts about happened in this reality

Sponsored Links
Back