Is it morally right to use children as spies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Children are used undercover in criminal investigations only when necessary, the government has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44905536

I personally think it is highly immoral to use children as spies, especially in the light that the child's veracity is probably highly suspect because of the situation that they find themselves in.

The government could not take a child out of one situation, relying on their impartiality, and place them, as a spy in another situation.
Therefore these child spies must be 'members' of the gang on which they are spying.

Sponsored Links
Of course it's immoral.
But then that is the mentality of the government/law enforcement we have in this country.

"Their use is governed by a strict legal framework."

Funnily enough that's what the police said when they sent officers with dead kids identities to shag their way into protest groups!

You say children as spies.

That could mean a 17 1/2 year old.

Old enough to wield a knife and be involved in gang related crime.

I think we need to some examples before jumping to conclusions.

Im not sure why Ellal needs to introduce a completely different subject about protest groups.

Sponsored Links
Im not sure why Ellal needs to introduce a completely different subject about protest groups.
Just pointing out that the 'strict legal framework' mentioned in the article isn't always adhered to where police spying is involved.
And that 'function creep' is part of the game...

Do you really need everything explained in minute detail in order for you to understand?

Old enough to wield a knife and be involved in gang related crime.

Doh!

If we had 'examples', then they wouldn't be much use as 'spies' would they!

From another article:

"Home Office correspondence suggests children are not merely giving police information, but are actively assigned to collect it. In the case of 16- to 18-year-olds, approval from a parent or guardian is not required. Under-16s cannot be deployed to obtain evidence against a parent – but presumably can against other family members; and there appears to be no such control on those aged between 16 and 18. The authorisation process does not appear to include social workers or other relevant agencies, raising questions over how it fits with the government’s own guidance on safeguarding children."

Of course it is fine for kids to be spies. Joe90 was only 9 years of age when he first stepped into the "Big Rat", since then he has saved the country many times. Best of all, he's still 9 and had to have the coolest theme music ever.

Last edited:
Quite clearly, there are under 16s being used.
And these are for serious criminal and terrorism related issues!

What about the danger in which the government is placing these children?
What about the danger of teaching children to be duplicitous?

Have you ever been through a divorce???

Andy
and children could not be deployed to gather intelligence on their parents.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44905536

Although this guideline applies only to police and criminal investigations. As ellal demonstrated, those guidelines do not extend to social services, etc.
We have seen before how guidelines designed for criminal investigations are exploited by other agencies for non-criminal investigations.

Quite clearly, there are under 16s being used.
And these are for serious criminal and terrorism related issues!

What about the danger in which the government is placing these children?
What about the danger of teaching children to be duplicitous?
The government cares not a jot about their safety - they are simply cannon fodder!

But given this revelation what is probably happening right now is that within gangs suspicion has been sown, and the slightest rumour could lead to more deaths in an ever increasing violent culture in the UK...

In fact I wonder if any of the recent slayings of youths could be attributed to this policy? - we never seem to hear the reasons exactly why these kids have lost their lives.

It's wrong

So is murder, drug crime, terrorism and lots of other things.

Using kids as spies is almost certainly morally wrong.

But I don't know enough about all the reasoning and the pro's and con's. Luckily it is part of the reason we have MP's, to make such difficult decisions, with the responsibilities, to ensure the safety of such people and the country as a whole.

But I don't know enough about all the reasoning and the pro's and con's. Luckily it is part of the reason we have MP's, to make such difficult decisions, with the responsibilities, to ensure the safety of such people and the country as a whole.
You mean the same MP's who had to make a 'difficult decision' about voting for anonymity for themselves when under criminal investigation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back