Sponsored Links
upload_2018-9-24_9-42-17.jpeg

It's the taking them down I dislike, it becomes gloomy & depressing, which is why I don't want to put them up in the first place.

Yeah there is no joy in taking down decs, its usually just before going back to work as well.

Yeah, this is why some people put them up earlier - make Christmas last longer!

Today it suddenly feels a bit closer - certainly a bit chilly out this morning. The heating came on the last 2 nights too.

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with a job I should imagine.

I hate that time of year, dark nights, rubbish weather and what seems to be a long stretch to Spring. At least Christmas, for all it's faults, is a distraction and something to look forward to in the winter.

I always think Christmas ironic.

A mid winter Pagan festival adopted by Christians as a celebration as the day Christ was born.

Not adopted by Christians but hi-jacked. The same with Easter.

They didn't even bother changing the name or the celestial dating of the event - Eostre, goddess of spring and fertility, celebrated on the date of the first new moon that follows the spring equinox (Easter Sunday is on the Sunday that follows that). Funny really. Symbols of the celebration - eggs and bunnies, representing rebirth and procreation. And it's no surprise that the resurrection is a key part of Christian Easter.

And of course, the Christmas tree is pagan too, and midwinter feasting dates back millennia, to celebrate that fact that you got halfway through winter without dying! If you remove "Jesus" from both celebrations, what's left is entirely pagan / pre-Christian. It's amazing how well it survived really, considering all the burning of pagans the church used to do. Just goes to show that you can never break us Brits (of Germanic and Nordic descent) :)

Not really related to Christmas, but I loved this quote from a US forum.

"I'm not particularly happy for Halloween to catch on in the UK though. It's such a distinctly American holiday. Why bother trying to graft it onto the culture now? I understand that Brits interpret it differently though. They think costumes have to be scary, whereas in America they can be scary or cute or even sweet. They can be anything."

Bless 'em!

Sponsored Links
Back