Is room taking too long to warm up?

Sponsored Links
Tonights reading:

DSC_0217.JPG

OAT at 3c and a high of 7c today according to the weather app.

Just under 4m3 over the 24 hours. I have now set it to constant with room stat still at 21c the hot water use will still be roughly the same. I'm all electric cooking so it doesn't figure in mine.

Jon

Do you appreciate how much a hob consumes?

Probably not but if its a regular use then it should still give a reasonable figure if he uses it again tomorrow.

It still wouldn't equate to the fact that he has used nearly three times what I have in the same period.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Yes to a certain degree (pun not intended) it is a bad comparison but what we are doing is seeing how 24/7 compares to timed sessions. It was never going to be like for like.

This is a badly thought out comparison, far too many variables.

Not really at all my house remains pretty much the same maybe a little more or a little less water consumption but nothing that will make a massive difference.

We are not comparing against each other for gas consumption but comparing the difference in gas usage between timed and 24/7 heating in both of our properties.

Its never going to be an exact but it will give proof to the fact that it cost less to heat a property whole timed than for 24 hours constantly.

Jon

what time period vs constant, when does it become more economical to do one rather than the other? For those who run a timed system how long do they spend in the timed period before the house gets warm enough?
It costs me less to run my heating for 1 hour a day, but I'm cold.

Boiler efficiency, system design, heat loss, controls accuracy, local weather, how many times the door is opened, how many people in the house, how much hot water is used.

You are missing the point.

It was argued that it would be more beneficial to run heating 24/7 so that the house never needs a large burst of energy to bring it up to temperature.

All of your above that you mention has no bearing as they all remain the same bar the weather. How will my boiler efficiency, system design, accuracy of my controls and general use of my house differ in a day?

I don't spend any time in the house when it's cold. It is set to come on before i'm up and before the youngest gets home from school. The test was to show that I will use more gas leaving it on all day and night rather than using my time schedule.

Jon

This is actually a test I want to try.

In anticipation, I have a secondary gas meter installed on the boiler, plus, the boiler software monitors gas consumption and separates out heating and hot water.

Just a shame I never have the time :LOL:

Last edited:

In anticipation, I have a secondary gas meter installed on the boiler, plus, the boiler software monitors gas consumption and separates out heating and hot water.

Mines an Ariston Dan I'm just lucky it fires up everyday let alone monitoring gas for heating and hot water separately lol

Jon

Mines an Ariston

Jon

Well, it'll be off half the year regardless!! That's unfair, I at one time was a service agent for Ariston & some of their boilers were good.

Mines an Ariston

Jon

Well, it'll be off half the year regardless!! That's unfair, I at one time was a service agent for Ariston & some of their boilers were good.

Its an Ariston so it will be off half the year regardless :D

All joking apart Dickie it actually isn't as it's a combi so is used on a constant daily basis only the heating demand drops but this has been pretty good to be fair. Replaced the flow and return thermistors on it just before the heating season last year as the return was off and faulted every now and again and had a couple of erroneous PCB errors show up but never a true cause for it but other than that it runs really well. I'm waiting for it to die so I can home test a Gash.

Either that or I might get a free one put in as the other half meets the requirements and we are technically in fuel poverty! o_O:whistle:

Jon

Today's reading : 6.245 degrees C OAT

And over the last 24 hours we have used 10 metres cubed so 1 less.

So close - too close to call it as we have eaten out tonight and not cooked anything on the hob!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 111
Mine taken at 22:15 to be honest.

DSC_0228.JPG

I have used nearly twice as much with the 24/7 approach.

While ours can't be compared for house against house mine is a massive difference to yours and that could be to insulation levels and heat loss values compared to the age of our houses?

I'm actually surprised that I used that much more but it is what I expected in theory. Shame no others took part.

Thanks though it gives me something to think about. I will post another now I have refitted the nest!

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back