Is room taking too long to warm up?

Sponsored Links
Certainly food for thought here!!

Thanks for the challenge!

I am going to continue monitoring for the next couple of weeks but won't post any photos I'll just record figures and lost a summary!

Part of the reason I haven't done anything yet is I have a 7 zone controller with OpenTherm.

If I do the experiment as is, the results might be skewed.

However, I will take a gas reading at 8:30. Run the house 24 hours. Then go to twice a day for tomorrow.

However, 24 hours is also a statistically insignificant.

OK - readings are....

Secondary meter - 271.241

Boiler software -
Heating - 634.9477
Water - 145.5553

All zones except the utility room are to be 21.5 for 24 hours.

Sponsored Links
House make up is a mid 80#s detached 4 bed. Cavity walls insulated, poorly.

3 People (one 7 year old).

Ground floor is all UFH (70/80 metres)
Upstairs are rads sized to run at 55 degrees from the boiler at -3 or so outside.

Tomorrow I will set a 4 hours in the morning, 4 hours in the evening cycle and see what the difference is.

dan you need to let your house cool down before you do the timed experiment, turn heating off for a week :LOL:

Before we had kids our heating was set for a few hours in the morning then off till early evening. Then when we had our first and my wife was home all day the heating was on all day from around half 6 till 10 PM - I fully expected the heating bill to skyrocket, but it didn't - it did increase but 'only' by about 20% or so vs the previous year.

@Dan Robinson How did it go mate? Interested to see another set of figures.

I put my Nest back into the system for yesterday and it used roughly 1.5m3 more with it on but I forgot that it was a Saturday and it stays on longer than as we are all in the house so not really a fair test. I'll do another in the week when the kids are at school and it's the same situation as the first two tests.

Jon

@Dan Robinson How did it go mate? Interested to see another set of figures.

I put my Nest back into the system for yesterday and it used roughly 1.5m3 more with it on but I forgot that it was a Saturday and it stays on longer than as we are all in the house so not really a fair test. I'll do another in the week when the kids are at school and it's the same situation as the first two tests.

Jon

Pinching a loaf at the moment. Took the readings though. Will post up after, but won't have time to break them down... I'm sure one of you guys can manage that. However phase 2 will have to wait until tomorrow.

Otherwise the house week be carrying heat from the last 24 hours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back