is there a requirement for a bathroom extractor fan??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help?? I,m looking to find out if there is a specific requirement to install an extractor fan in an ensuite bathroom??

I,m thinking of not having one in there as there is an opening window.

cheers

Sponsored Links
It's building regs rather than electrical regs that specify them, ususally if there's no other source of ventilation ie opening window.

Thats said, if it's an extension and you need a completion certificate from the local authority, they can make all sorts of stipulations about what they'd like to see. Building inspectors often like to embellish on the standard codes of practice, I guess it makes them feel important.

I think all bathrooms etc must now have an extractor fan. Those with opening windows can have a manually controlled fan, whilst those without windows have to have a fan that comes on with the light and an over run. (So I believe)

Buliding Regs Part F applies.

it says (para 1.5)

"Extract ventilation ito outside is required in each kitchen, utility room and bathroom................"

it doesnt say you are let off if there's a window .

Table 1.5 (per gas4u) says you only must have a 15 minute over-run timer on the fan / vent system if there's no window.

Sponsored Links
OP doesn't say if it's a new bathroom or existing. Building regs only apply to new, so if existing, don't have one unless you want one.

Also, I've stopped installing 4" fans as they are a waste of space - 6" is the only way to go!

SB

Also, I've stopped installing 4" fans as they are a waste of space - 6" is the only way to go!

SB

how so?

The fan should be appropriately sized to the room and the the method of ducting, too commonly you see 4" axial fans with yards of fexiduct which is gonna move about as much air as a farting mouse. But a 4" axial through the wall is fine for most small bathrooms, you don't want to extract too much air any more than too little, you're paying to heat the bathroom remember...

Sorry hairy - a bit of a generalisation i know!

I might occasionally fit a 4" through the wall in a small room, but often the bathrooms I see have already got a 4" with ducting and are getting mouldy, so would recommend upgrade to 6". I also suggest that unless the property is tenanted that they have it on a sep switch from the lights, so they only use it when needed.

All my clients have been very happy so far.

I fitted some vent-axia commercial thing with an insane extraction rate for a old boy not so long ago, but he insisted on like for like replacement for the knackered one so he got it.

Other than that, unless it's a large bathroom, or like recently has a steam-shower, a decent 4" with overrun usually does a reasonable job... The icons I tend to fit are rated at 21l/s which is a complete change of air in just over ten minutes in a 2x3 bathroom... I know more extraction would be better in many cases, but have you ever have a problem with draughts or temperature drop?

no, hairy - mind you not that I've specifically asked!

I think most people are just pleased to have a bathroom that is not covered in mildew!

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back