Is this legal? or not!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys, this is in my Mums house and as I am not a qualified sparky who knows the regs etc I am seeking advice as to whether its legal, or not!

Copyofbath2.jpg

Basically, the property has until recently been rented out as a holiday cottage for over 10 years, with no issues, however now it is being overhauled and this has come into question (its an 18th century cottage...in the middle of nowhere near enough!)

Basically, in the bathroom is a seperate small 'room'...this contains a washing machine and tumble dryer.

In order to access and turn them on the door has to be open as theres only 2 ft of space from the front of the machines to the inside of the door.

is it legal, and if not is there anything that can be done to make it legal...(apart from moving them as there is nowhere to put them)

Is this classed as a seperate room as it has 4 walls and a door? therefore not part of the bathroom?

or not...!!!!

Copyofbath2.jpg

Thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
Now that we've got the sensible answer out of the way, can I add that I think that occasional table should be illegal!!! :LOL:

Now that we've got the sensible answer out of the way, can I add that I think that occasional table should be illegal!!! :LOL:

I was thinking that about the pink affair thats draped over it.
I bet those flowers are plastic :D

Sponsored Links
I wondered if the appliances were so violent that they had to be locked in via the bolt :D

I've come across this quite a lot - a door inside a bathroom that leads to another room. Someone told me that the 'other' room is often called a 'hallway' and some (usually downstairs) are often called a 'kitchen', but I'm not sure if they are having me on.

Thanks for the input!
Points taken on the decor.... this photo was taken be a photographer for a holliday cottage brochure and the room was setup in it. The table is not usually there and I have no idea why it is now!

back on topic. So it sounds like a real grey area!! Legal when the door is closed and not when its open!!!

The property is to be rented out again so it really needs to be totally compliant.... can this manage to be that!!

Yes, but I thought the door required to be locked.

So only an approved person can access, an approved person being someone that reads a instruction advising them not to bath when the machines are in use.

Its probably compliant when the door is closed and non-compliant when the door is open.
Even without the door the appliances are probably outside Zone 2.

Personally, I would'nt worry about it, just ensure that the equipment has 30mA rcd protection.
And connects via flex-outlet FCUs, not plugs & sockets...

Yes, but I thought the door required to be locked.
Locked, or just requiring a tool to open?

Thanks guys.

Some really helpful info there.

Ive got a sparky coming to do an inspection and test on some work at the property and a few remedial jobs as well so I will get him to check and implement the 30mA RCD and flex-outlet FCUs at the same time..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back