IS THIS LEGAL

Harrowgategas said:
Also it is good practise to face the bayonnet fitting downwards too
Not in this case - it's a micropoint connector where the hose end has an integral elbow.

Sponsored Links
Still good practise Chris.........take the elbow out with the cooker flex and you still have the oppotunity to catch crap in the fitting if left alone for a long period.

But the hose should point downwards. If you pointed the connector downwards, the hose would stick out sideways, which would result in it being stressed with a chance of longer term failure.

the coneector should piont downwards Chris to stop dust, paster etc from droping inside and possible causing a leak from a poor seal. The flex should be in a loop , this can be achieve wth the connector downwards.

Check your corgi book, i had this question in ACS last year.

Sponsored Links
quote "the socket into which the plug of the appliance flexible connector fits, shall be permanently attatched to a firmly fixed gas installation pipe and positioned such that the appliance flexible connector hose hangs freely downwards"

Its the hose which is required to hang downwards HG not the connector.

not on a micro point

if you were to point it down it would put stress on the rubber hosing. and regs and BSI state that the hose must dangle is such a manner as to prevent any damge, wear or come into contact with a hot surface

I agree it looks better on a bayonet and would never fit one of them pointing any where but down

I would not NCS that at all I would a bayonet pointing up (actually no I would Drop test the system (sorry sorry tightness test the system) whip it off and whip it back on again, all nice and downy like

cor us lads like a moan and a arguement dont we :LOL:

AND...does that hose touch the floor?

Risk of hungry vermin chewing through it, if it does (or I guess hungry pidgeons pecking through it) :!:

my boss insists bayonett must point downwards

Well he should read the Corgi book "Gas Cookers & Ranges" which states "Straight bayonet socket connection types are also available, which again need to be positioned to allow the flexible connection to hang downwards."

Micropoint sockets should therefore be mounted horizontally as in the picture.

more worrying is the fact that some cookers have hot areas at the rear > 70 degrees and your not meant to fit a hose in that position but offset it to thel eft or right so same will go for electrics ?

micropoint is fitted the correct way and for me i wont ever use anything else they are far more superior than the old type bayonet ones of which i have had more then my fair share of leaks from new parts

micropoint micropoint :LOL:

Apart from the missing screw/s the only thing I picked up on when I looked HERE and zoomed in was what appears to be jointing paste and PTFE together. Something I dont do as I was told that they may react if the paste is oil based.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back