Is this new heating quote OK?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been quoted £11,300 (£9600 less vat) for a new heating system.
Does this sound about right (South East prices!) ?

Details:
4 bed house .. 2 floors .. removing old single pipe system.
12 Rads + TRV's and all new piping over two floors
Using 22mm flo/returns over most off the house, braching off to rads in 15mm.
Worchester Bosch High Flow 550 boiler.
Removing conventional cylinder and running 22mm to its existing hot connection.

I was initially shocked by the quote expecting a £3K less than that.

Plumber thinks it will take two of them 2 weeks solid.

The boiler is £2K inc vat, and I guess pipework and rads about £1.5-2K
So £5K in labour?

PS: I have carpets already and told plumber making good the flooring is not an issue since I will be replacing with ply.

Sponsored Links
why dont you get other quotes then.no qualified persons can give you a yes or no answer for definetly.as no one has seen the layout of your house.p.s was it a bg quote by any chance.

£5000 / 10 days / 2 men = £250 per man/day or about £35 an hour. Assuming that's 50% overheads that's about £17/hr gross wages. Less if they're working longer days. And knock the VAT off that of course as well.

For 2 weeks solid work I'd expect to pay daywork rather than hourly rates, but it's not outside the realms of reasonable when you break it down like that.

Couple of things I would be concerned about is use of combi boiler and 22mm pipe boiler onwards. Price? Well, if you want quality fit, you have to pay for it.

Plenty out there will fit an inferior 20kw boiler powered from 15mm gas line and 15mm F+R boiler outwards.

Sponsored Links
Its not BG!

I did have a quote for >£5000 inc vat from another firm to just fit the boiler and keep the existing single pipe rad system.

I have used this chap before and sort of trust him, he seems very thorough.

He said he was surprised with the quote after working it out .... I certainly was!!!

It includes a Worchester Bosch 5yrboiler warranty ... the boiler was my choice ... although he has tested the flo rate and volume etc which are all fine ...

>£5000 inc vat from another firm to just fit the boiler
:eek: :eek: :eek:

5 year warranty is almost certainly supplied by the manufacturer simply because the fitter is certified with their products. Nice to have though.

i will walk down the M1 with my tools for money like that and so will loads of guys ,your getting ripped off mate even british gas would be cheaper

I've been quoted £11,300 (£9600 less vat) for a new heating system.
Does this sound about right (South East prices!) ?

Details:
4 bed house .. 2 floors .. removing old single pipe system.
12 Rads + TRV's and all new piping over two floors
Using 22mm flo/returns over most off the house, braching off to rads in 15mm.
Worchester Bosch High Flow 550 boiler.
Removing conventional cylinder and running 22mm to its existing hot connection.

I was initially shocked by the quote expecting a £3K less than that.

Plumber thinks it will take two of them 2 weeks solid.

The boiler is £2K inc vat, and I guess pipework and rads about £1.5-2K
So £5K in labour?

PS: I have carpets already and told plumber making good the flooring is not an issue since I will be replacing with ply.

I don't know what you hope to achieve with this pointless post. Try discussing your initial shock with the person who quoted you.

i will walk down the M1 with my tools for money like that and so will loads of guys ,your getting ripped off mate even british gas would be cheaper

How can the O'P , be getting ripped off ???

Assuming that's 50% overheads that's about £17/hr gross wages.
That means overheads of £17 per hour... or approx. £680 a week...
Where does all that go? I make mine about £100 a week...

By 'overheads' I mean the difference in company billing rate and the individual plumber's pay rate, assuming this is a business with shareholders demanding a dividend and a managing director with a company car and a pretty typist.

If you store your tube in the garden shed, park the Transit on the drive overnight, and Mrs Goldspoon answers the phone for you, I daresay your overheads will be a lot less.

(Not that I am suggesting that Mrs Goldspoon be compared in any way unfavourably to a typist)

I expect Mrs Goldspoon also makes the tea which not all typists do nowadays.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back