Is this scrap worth anything?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new central heating system fitted and have this left over. Plumber said he’d take it away tomorrow but neighbour said I should take it to a scrap place for cash.

Any idea how much it might be worth? Can’t be bothered for a tenner but £50+ might be worth it!

Do I have to do anything or could I just take it like this?

Ta!

Attachments

• 3D795BF0-42C7-46F1-9F0C-93689D1BDDCD.jpeg
    3D795BF0-42C7-46F1-9F0C-93689D1BDDCD.jpeg
    786.9 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
You should really be ringing a local scrap merchant rather than asking us, but local to me is about 3 quid a kilo for crappy copper. Weigh it and multiply by 3 for a ballpark

As far as I'm concerned then that's kinda the plumbers perk. He gets to add it to his pile and it's almost like a tip unless he says he can't do anything with it of course.

Happened to me recently, ripped out a whole old system, fair amount of old heavy 3/4" - 1/2" copper and brass work and left till the next day to get enough space to take it away. Wasn't huge but it was worth maybe £75 odd. Arrived the next day to find it all gone. Apparently the decorator, who was a friend of the wife of the client had asked her if he could take it, 'cause it was worth money to him'. Cheeky ba$tardo!!

Went in the next day with it all gone and I mentioned it to the husband, who was my client ..... he said he knows and he had a real go at his wife because she had no right to give it to the "numpty guy who is a glorified handyman that paints the walls and hasn't anything to do with the plumbing/CH" (was his exact words) and he shouldn't have had the cheek to even ask for it.

He couldn't apologies enough and said he always considered it a perk for the plumber and told me to add £75 to the bill to make up for it.

Remove all the insulation, take any brass or plastic fittings off, then take it to a scrap yard with proof of who you are, your address and an account in which to pay it. Are you sure the plumber didn't include his recovering the scrap value, of what he removed?

Sponsored Links
To my mind it depends on what the quote said. If it was a "and clear all rubbish and waste from site" then that scrap actually belongs to the person that did the work, and they may well have factored scrapping it in to reduce the quote to you and make their service more competitive/make you choose them over the guy who quoted a hundred quid more.

To then take it and weigh it in may effectively be stealing from them

I use the money I get from scrap to offset other waste disposal costs, so if you ran off with that you'd get an additional bill for the disposal of other waste generated during your job.

Take it to your local scrappie, you will get about £15 for it , you will need to remove the insulation, you will need a driving licence or a passport and proof of address and your bank details, they will pay it into your bank account and you will have to declare it to Inland revenue as income, or you could just let your neighbour do it for you :unsure:

Not necessarily true. Read up on the "trading allowance", also referred to as "hobby allowance"
Well if you want to get pedantic , do you have a waste carriers licence to transport that to the scrappies ? yes you can get a free one but you have to apply for one for that one off journey, and your "trading allowance" still must be declared

Crikey, this one's getting a bit heated.

When I have finished a job and there's scrap left over I usually ask the custo if they'd like me to take it away as scrap. If they agree I have a slip of paper pre-printed to the effect that they gave given me the scrap, therefore I won't need a waste carrier licence to transport it, and if the waste police see fit to interrogate me (though they never have) then I'm squeeky clean.

so we are now not allowed to say someone is talking nonsense when they think they own a customers property by putting a few words on a bit of paper

Just had a new central heating system fitted and have this left over. Plumber said he’d take it away tomorrow but neighbour said I should take it to a scrap place for cash.

Any idea how much it might be worth? Can’t be bothered for a tenner but £50+ might be worth it!

Ta!

Don't **** off the plumber. Definitely if he's one of the good ones

That's the plumber's beer money, I used to do the same with the scarp wire!

I always state in my Estimates that price incorporates me taking non recycling rubbish and scrap metal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back