Jewson 10 tonne wagon cannot get up drive entrance ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I ordered

25 of 3ftx2ftx2inches thick paving slabs, grey &
30 of 215mm x 100mm x 440mm building bricks, grey.

from Jewson and 10 tonne wagon arrived other day and could not get up entrance to drive.
Issue is wagons turning circle not tight enough, so cannot line up with entrance enough to back up drive way.

However when new bathroom went in last year bits and pieces from Build Centre (now Jewson) arrived on what they now tell me must have been same 10 tonne wagon back then. He went in front first.
If it is the same wagon type (i dont know) would it make a difference backing in or going front first ?

I phoned Keyline. Apparently they use 10 tonne wagon as well. They tell me "if Jewson can't get it in nor can we".

Surely folks have experience of delivering heavy building quantities to restricted access sites that are a bit back from the public highway ?

I am trying to buy a trailer at the moment ..

Anyone know how I could get this delivered ?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I would think it was down to the individual driver and what he considered safe and reasonable. Many drivers would not want to be in the situation of having to reverse out of a drive onto a road as they could be blind to oncoming traffic.

Could they not offload onto the opening of the driveway and leave you to lug the stuff the rest of the way?

Reversing in effect, makes the vehicle rear wheel steer, so does allow a larger vehicle to access a smaller gap. However, ordering a vehicle off the road to deliver/collect from private property is the responsibility of the person asking, if the driver does not feel confident taking his vehicle off the road then that is his call. You'd be surprised how many people expect a lorry to get into the silliest of spots then start creating when property is damaged.....

Sponsored Links
As above answers.

It is advised reverse in and drive out of drives and a driver reversing out could be liable to prosecution if an accident occurred, unacceptable risk?

As for completing the delivery, short of humping it down the drive yourself you could grab a couple of lads out of your local pub, rent a pick-up or man and van(scrap lads).

buy a wheelbarrow an hump the gear from the road side or find a firm with a smaller tipper our local yard has big wagons an smaller tippers for smaller loads easy that wasnt hard was it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back