Jobsworth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine is having some building work done, which involves some new (i.e. not replacing anything already there) electrical work , being done by a registered electrician.

He also wants to replace some existing accessories with brushed metal ones.

Some of the switch drops are in singles and no sign of conduit, or T/E with the sheath cut back too far (presumably outside the back box - I've not seen it).

According to the electrician he's therefore not allowed to replace the light switches - would have to rewire the circuit(s) - that'll be £900 please.

:evil:

Sponsored Links
If there is no effective CPC ( earth wire ) at the switch location then metal switches cannot be used as there is no way to earth the exposed metal plate.

The electrician can replace the switches with new plastic switches.

If he is being really "jobs worth" he should use nylon screws to fix the switches to the back boxes if the boxes are metal.

There are cpcs (I have told my friend to ask the electrician to confirm that they are effective).

It wasn't the lack of earths which the electrician said prevented him from replacing the switches, it was unsheathed/single-insulated conductors.

Some of the switch drops are in singles and no sign of conduit, or T/E with the sheath cut back too far (presumably outside the back box - I've not seen it). ... According to the electrician he's therefore not allowed to replace the light switches - would have to rewire the circuit(s) - that'll be £900 please.
I have to say that I've heard of far worse examples of Mr Jobsworth than that - buried single-insulated singles, without conduit, are a bit naughty - and, perhaps more to the point, were quite probably non-compliant even when they were installed.

The silly thing, of course, is that (assuming there are CPCs, per Bernard's comment) the situation will be no less safe when the switches are replaced than it is at present - so, in that sense, I guess that it's a bit Jobsworth-like!

If the electrician in question 'is not allowed' to replace the switches, then I think I'd tell him that was fine (and also tell him what he could do with his £900!), and that I would get an electrician who 'was allowed to' do it to just replace the switches!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
buried single-insulated singles, without conduit, are a bit naughty - and, perhaps more to the point, were quite probably non-compliant even when they were installed.
Agree with both of those, but for the guy to say that if he just replaces the switches he won't be able to certify any of the work he's done (new circuits etc) is a trifle extreme, IMO.

The silly thing, of course, is that (assuming there are CPCs, per Bernard's comment) the situation will be no less safe when the switches are replaced than it is at present - so, in that sense, I guess that it's a bit Jobsworth-like!
Ideally the wiring ought to be rectified, but it's not going anywhere, it doesn't move about so there are no chafing concerns, any drill will go through T/E just as easily as it would through a 6491X etc - replacing the switches does not create any new dangers.

If the electrician in question 'is not allowed' to replace the switches, then I think I'd tell him that was fine (and also tell him what he could do with his £900!), and that I would get an electrician who 'was allowed to' do it to just replace the switches!
He's going to change them himself. As I said, I've advised him to get the electrician (if they are still on speaking terms) to test cpc continuity, and if missing to fit grommets where singles enter the boxes when he changes the switches.

insulated or uninsulated singles?
Do you mean 'sheathed or unsheathed' (or 'single insulated' or 'double-insulated'/'single insulated and sheathed')? .. they would surely not have used bare conductors, no matter how incompetent they were!!

Kind Regards, John

Yes - single insulated.

Either single-core "conduit" cables or T/E where the sheath has been cut back too far.

I would not replace the switches.
I don't usually think of you as 'Mr J', so I wonder why not - as has been said, changing the switches will have absolutely no impact on the safety of the installation.

Would you also refuse to change the switches if they were wired in (unprotected) T&E, but you knew (or suspected) that the cable was not entirely within safe zones?

Kind Regards, John

If we forget the Jobsworth side of things for now, on a different note, wouldn't it be a good idea to get the wiring put right now?

If we forget the Jobsworth side of things for now, on a different note, wouldn't it be a good idea to get the wiring put right now?
Ideally, obviously yes - I suppose that, in practice, it depends partially upon the extent of the building work currently being undertaken.

However, there is the question of 'how far should one go'. For example, as I implied in my question to RF, if one discovers wiring which is not entirely in safe zones (and hasn't been for years or decades), should one rectify that?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back