Jobsworth

On copper, nah! I can take you to locations where there are miles of pre WW2 copper conductors in the air in ex-industrial areas that was subject to all manner of pollution, that apart from some oxidation on the outside is as good as the day it was put up.
That's obviously what I suspected - as I wrote:
I suppose it must, to some extent, but copper pipes buried in plaster don't usually seem to suffer from more than pretty minor surface corrosion.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In the case of the single insulated single core, could this be some sheathed single core, and the sheath doesn't enter the box?
Who knows - but small CSA (<10mm²) DI singles are pretty hard to come by, so it's probably unlikley.

DI singles are fairly easy to come by. 6181Y 1.0 or 1.5 mm² is used fairly commonly, more up North than down South.

Blimey - you go out for the day and....

1) No instances have (yet, I guess) been found of unsleeved cpcs.

2) I thought it was only lime plaster which corroded copper?

3) Capping is not an e-c-p.

DI singles are fairly easy to come by. 6181Y 1.0 or 1.5 mm² is used fairly commonly, more up North than down South.
Interesting. As I said/implied, I've very rarely seen them <10mm². What do you use them for 'up North'?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
3) Capping is not an e-c-p.
As I've said, clearly not if it is buried (since its then not an 'exposed' anything!). However, as I also said, if it was (perish the thought!) exposed on the surface of a wall, with SI cables below it, would it then not have to be treated as an exposed-c-p and earthed (as would any exposed metal <whatever>, below the surface of which were SI conductors)?

Kind Regards, John

Not that I go up North, but DI singles are used as an alternative wiring method. Quite similar to conduit wiring I suppose.

Usually 6241Y cables is used at the switches, or anywhere else, to provide the earth as well.

However, as I also said, if it was (perish the thought!) exposed on the surface of a wall, with SI cables below it, would it then not have to be treated as an exposed-c-p and earthed (as would any exposed metal <whatever>, below the surface of which were SI conductors)?
Depends on whether you consider capping to be part of electrical equipment which can be touched.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back