Junction Boxes and multiple connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm sure there is a straight forward product that solves my problem, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. How should a large number of lighting cables be joined? Sticking them all in to a single point on a junction box seems a little haphazard, although this is how my lights are currently wired, apparently by a professional.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is you definition of a "large number of lighting cables"?

Sponsored Links
For connections of multiple cables consider using these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ701.html When i do rewires i use one in attic for upstairs lighting and one under landing floorboards for downstairs. This way i only have one cable at each lighting point and switch, with all cables labeled and connected in the RB4's with fifteen amp connectors. This makes changing of light fittings and switches really easy and any problems or alterations later on more accessible. I have come across some 20 amp 6 terminal jb's with up to 8 x 1mm cables attached, amazed they got the lid back on.

Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense. Was kind of thinking there must be something like that using a kind of busbar, but your method certainly sounds a lot better than a load of junction boxes crammed with wires!

din rail terminals with jumper bars..

nice box by the way... might get one to use on my flat.. would be handy..

din rail terminals are probablly overkill

what I would probablly do is get a nice big length of chock block in a box like the one pictured and bring each cable to a seperate group of three terminals on one side.

then on the other side wire between them. That way it is easy to change the configuration and you should not need to have more than two wires in any one terminal.

1. Roll back carpet

2. Lift floorboard

3. Lift lid off RB4 junction box

If thats not accessible then i don't know what is???

:LOL:

I have the same problem. At the moment I have 5 sets of lights and light switches all going into one 6 junction terminal box. Most of the connections have the ends of the wires twisted together and a small ceramic "thimble" put over the twisted connections so Iam very interested in this method. What happens to the earth? do you use 4 of the strip connections per light? And what happens if the strip becomes longer than the box do you just use 2 lengths of strip.

I would not class that as accessible. (No I am not kidding)

Under 7671, which is not very clear on this issue, it's deemed as inaccessible but is more accessible and i feel more acceptable than a house full of jb's buried in walls and floors which are clearly inaccessible. When installing using RB4 i create a labeled trap for access with all fixed wiring also labeled and i feel it's better to have a single point of connection for alterations and fault finding than loop in or joint box method.

I have not been viewing or adding to this forum for long but rather than question without explanation in a "i think i know something that you don't" attitude why not try and answer posts with a question and explanation of your argument instead of "no i am not kidding" and "is that accessible". Maybe I'm wrong but i thought the idea of a forum is to share ideas and thoughts so that electrical practises for tradesman and diy can be improved or is it just to increase the number of posts under your username. hmmm.........

Try reading some of the number of posts under my username, and you'll see exactly how much good FREE advice I have given out to ungrateful folk like yourself. :rolleyes:

I don't see why any junction boxes are necessary for new lighting installation work.

It is poor outdated design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back