Kudox radiators, never again

I have an old wood chisel especially for this purpose. It's the exact width of the slots and works a dream.

Jon

Sponsored Links
No it's not a wind up, and yes I know the answer seems obvious.

I'm just peeved that I now have to go out and buy a large bladed screwdriver just for these rads (nobody I know even has one of these). Why an earth couldn't they have used plugs like Barlo rads which are easy as pie to remove (after all who doesn't have an adjustable spanner in their toolkit).

I think with this one when they sprayed the rad paint has seeped into the threads hence it's more of a challenge. The last Kudox rad I had they came out with little effort, can't remember what I used to remove them. As I said in my previous post the guys at screwfix couldn't even remove them when I last had to take a Kudox rad back.

Anyway I just wanted a rant and thanks for all the helpful posts I'm sure I'll get it sorted.

If it helps I thought I was going nuts and posted basically the same thing with a stelrad this morning here //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/fitting-a-new-radiator-valve-tails-sealed-am-i-going-mad.475057/. I couldn't see the outline of the plug, figured it was all metal and didn't want to force it!

Sponsored Links
Ha ha. Knew I wasn't alone. Hope you got it resolved okay.

Yeah done now, did exactly as suggested and whacked a screwdriver through the plugs and twisted them out.

I was always told that if it didn't move, don't force it, so I guess I missed the followup lesson of "unless you have to, then just smack it"!

On the subject of mottos:

Where theres a will, theres a way

(and relatives out if the woodwork)

As I said in my previous post the guys at screwfix couldn't even remove them when I last had to take a Kudox rad back.
why do people assume that lads that pick things off a shelf know anything at all about them ? dont how many times I have been in Parts Center with someone asking the bloke behind the counter what part they need to fix their boiler , if they could diagnose faults would they be picking parts up at a counter and you are surprised that someone working in screwfix couldnt get a radiator plug out

Strange, I fitted 2 of these last month, a size 3 screwdriver and my man arms was all I used to break the seal. They were rather crappy though, the decorative grilles were flimsy rubbish, though I was able to remove them and throw them away so they matched the existing radiators. The brackets couldn't have been much thinner either. I wouldn't want to fit any more of those.

The screwdriver I used was one of those 50p (maybe 75p) ones from B&Q. You've probably seen the ones. There are two types, Red handle with flat blade, blue handle for cross head. No need for anything better. Get the flat blade one. Just stick it in the slot and hit it with a hammer then twist.

I fit quite a lot of these Kudox as its so convenient buying from SF.

Never remember any problem removing the plugs!

From memory as well as the large cross head slot they also have a flange where the water pump pliars can be used as well as the screwdriver.

why do people assume that lads that pick things off a shelf know anything at all about them ? dont how many times I have been in Parts Center with someone asking the bloke behind the counter what part they need to fix their boiler , if they could diagnose faults would they be picking parts up at a counter and you are surprised that someone working in screwfix couldnt get a radiator plug out

To be fair diagnosing faults and removing the plugs from radiator ports is a bit of a leap!

Strange, I fitted 2 of these last month, a size 3 screwdriver and my man arms was all I used to break the seal. They were rather crappy though, the decorative grilles were flimsy rubbish, though I was able to remove them and throw them away so they matched the existing radiators. The brackets couldn't have been much thinner either. I wouldn't want to fit any more of those.

Yup, the decorative grills are a pita but then again I paid a lot less than the next make would have cost.

I have read all this ' useful advice ' it is from professionals and really fills me with unease. The initial enquirer came close to the source of the problem. Kudox
did not take the trouble to see these components could not be easily removed.
To permit possible reuse at a later date. It is their fault and inexcusable.

So the unit should be returned to them for a refund. Goods not fit for purpose. Once they have enough of them back and it costs them ' serious coin'
Their attention will be gained
Just because some misguided but well meaning persons have found a way of circumventing the problem.
And it is successful. Does not make it right.
P A Boule

Well in the future I'll be voting with my very limited purchasing power as I've already said, I'm sure the Kudox will be in bits about it but hey ho.

On a slight tangent there is unfortunately a race to the bottom where people will often blindly buy the cheapest 'landfill quality' product regardless of how well it performs, serviceability or how long it will last as long as it does the job for now. I'd love to see a certificate of quality introduced for every manufactured item that would filter out the crap that's made primarily for profit and not long term use. How many times have we all bought stuff that's ended up in the trash

Quite right. But you are very wisely taking one of the only two the ' adult ' approaches.
Complain to the manufacturer to the extent of dumping garbage on their office entrance .
or boycott their goods and services.
Tends to be the first approach favoured by Gallic people.

To acquiesce. By' working round the problem ' As many championed. seems to
me to be supporting a manufacturer of sub-standard products.
Unconscionable

Bon chance, mon ami

P A Boule

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back