LABC problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I recently submitted an application to my LABC to inform them that I was planning to rewire my house and change the consumer unit.

I am a DIYer, but have a fair amount of experience, having done this in my last house before the rules changed.

I have contacted the LABC today and they have said I MUST have a BS 7671 before they will sign the work off. Their website however states that as long as I submit a notice, I am OK to do the work myself.

Can anyone clarify this? As far as understood, I could do the work as long as I submit a notice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You dont have a BS7671, thats a standard for Electrical Installations.

You can (should) do the works to comply with BS7671 and then it must be certified to say it complies. AFAIK you notify LABC, pay £££, they inspect your wiring at various stages and are supposed to test it.
Many LABCs dont want to/are unable to do the last bit.

There's a lot of posts on this subject - have a go with the search button and be amazed at what u might find..

Taylortwocities said:
You dont have a BS7671, thats a standard for Electrical Installations.

Sorry, what I meant to say was that the LABC require "an appropriate BS 7671 electrical installation certificate to be issued". IE, they want the cert before they will say everything is OK.

Seems fair enough to me, maybe you could team up with a spark and submit a 3 part EIC, but you signing for design and install and spark doing the tetsing and signing for that part? :)

OT: And you can have a BS7671, easily, anyone can for the sum of £49 ;)

Sponsored Links
As I understand it, it is upto your LABC (or their nominated contractor) to inspect your work, and provide you with an electrical installation certificate. This is what you pay your fee for.

that's what is supposed to happen. I've heard that is rarely does. I'm registered spark so I can self-certify work i do myself so I (or rather, my customers) dont have that problem.

RF Lighting said:
As I understand it, it is upto your LABC (or their nominated contractor) to inspect your work, and provide you with an electrical installation certificate.

Not my understanding of Part P - installer issues EIC in compliance with BS7671, LABC will issue a certificate of compliance with building regs.
LABC contractor can only carry out PIR to ensure compliance

Taylortwocities said:
that's what is supposed to happen. I've heard that is rarely does.

I have recently made enquiries with Stockport MBC. They will not issue an EIC. I have to provide it at my own expense & they will then give me a certificate proving the work complies.

So there is a possibility I can do the work myself and then get an electrician to test it?

Roughly how much would I be looking at to get someone to test my work? It's a 30's semi and I think I'm looking at about 10 circuits (still planning them at the mo).

Cheers

the part P document, section 1.26 states the testing should be done by the LABC or an appointed contractor at the expense of the LABC

however, section 1.27 states that the LABC will not issue an EIC as this can only be done by those carrying out the work.

sections 1.28 and 1.29 says no.. third party test and inspection could only do a PIR as they cannot verify things like routing of cables etc..

Cartboy, there's the problem. Most sparks who are registered with one of the Part P scams (sorry i mean schemes) can only notify LABC that work has been completed and tested if they have done it themselves (self certify). By sigining off work I havent done I would leave myself liable for any non-compliances and issues.

There is a more detailed EIC where the design, installation and testing can be done by different people but they are all supposed to be competent and its designed for large electrical contractors who have different teams doing the three different stages.

SOME LABCs will accept a Periodic Inspection Report from a competent spark but this is very wrong as a PIR is only used for existing installations, not new ones. It is a very nasty getaround Part P and should be stopped by all of us who have invested large amounts of time and money to do things properly.

[url=http://communities.gov.uk/pub/12/CircularLetter30March2006_id1165012.pdf]From the last page of this PDF...[/url] said:
Inspection, testing and BS 7671 certification
C.6 The ODPM has continued to receive hundreds of complaints and queries relating to
the need for inspection, testing and BS 7671 certification of installations. Section 1 of the
Approved Document has therefore been extensively revised to make it clearer what
testing needs to be carried out and who should be expected to do so. The guidance
makes it clear that only the person who carried out the installation can complete a BS
7671 installation certificate. It cannot be done by a third party.

C.7 Local authorities have no powers to ask householders or others who are not qualified
to carry out testing and complete a BS 7671 electrical installation certificate at the
householders’ expense. Where a local authority thinks that such testing is necessary in
the circumstances to ensure that reasonable provision has been made the local authority
must do this at its expense.

securespark said:
Taylortwocities said:
that's what is supposed to happen. I've heard that is rarely does.

I have recently made enquiries with Stockport MBC. They will not issue an EIC. I have to provide it at my own expense & they will then give me a certificate proving the work complies.

I am in Stockport and have had an extensino built recently, but due to a builder fall out, I am unable to get a Part P certification, an the electrician the builder used was not Part P (unknown to me), and what he usually does is get another guy to sign it off (who is Part P) when the job's finished, but as the builder is long gone, I cannot get this. So, I'm basically stuck. Speaking with Stockport BC, they tell me to either get the Part P or they might grudgingly accept a periodic, but when my extension is signed off it will have a clause about the electrics. I've tried other electricians to get the Part P (I've taken a lot of photos of the cable runs/installation as it was in progress, etc.) but most seem reluctant to Part P it. Surely this situation must arise, whereas an electrician might leave a job before it's done, he might move on or pass away, whatever, but what is the customer (i.e. me) supposed to do to get the Part P cerification?!

Taylortwocities said:
SOME LABCs will accept a Periodic Inspection Report from a competent spark but this is very wrong as a PIR is only used for existing installations, not new ones. It is a very nasty getaround Part P and should be stopped by all of us who have invested large amounts of time and money to do things properly.

Not sure about anything else, but for regulisation applications certainly a PIR is the recommended way of tackling ensureing complicance with requirement P1.

If a LABC refuses to accept a PIR during regular applications, then the effect could be to just make it so they arn't submitted at all, and a regulisation application is submitted if its snagged up at house sale time!

I had similar problems with my LABC (Rochdale). The fact is that they don't want to get involved at all as it costs them lot's. Have a read of Part P of the building regs (and my posts on here). It states specifically that DIYers can do the work and that it is the LABC's responsibility to inspect and test at their expense, not the householders. They still tried to charge me £350 for their testing which I did not pay. I quoted the relevant bit of Part P to them and they backed down (said it was a computer error!). If you think you can do the work right then go ahead. Armed with the facts regarding Part P you should be able to make the LABC keep to their part of the bargain. Steve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back