LABC problem

steve1811uk said:
I had similar problems with my LABC (Rochdale). The fact is that they don't want to get involved at all as it costs them lot's. Have a read of Part P of the building regs (and my posts on here). It states specifically that DIYers can do the work and that it is the LABC's responsibility to inspect and test at their expense, not the householders. They still tried to charge me £350 for their testing which I did not pay. I quoted the relevant bit of Part P to them and they backed down (said it was a computer error!). If you think you can do the work right then go ahead. Armed with the facts regarding Part P you should be able to make the LABC keep to their part of the bargain. Steve.

Thanks, I'm gonna have a go at that.
The installation is finished apart from a few bits which I will do, then I'll ring them and try to force the above on them.

Sponsored Links
Is there a link somewhere to the specific Part P bit you mention so I can quote it to them, or is it possible to write it here.

All sorted! Had a call from my LABC this afternoon following an email I sent them quoting Part P and some other paragraphs.

They admitted they were wrong and gave the go ahead for me to do the work. They will instruct and electrician to test my install once complete, but before I use it.

They said they had to refer to part P, as they have only had 3 building notices for electrics from DIYers since this regulation came into force, and no-one had challenged them before!

Thanks everyone!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back