Leaking Flapper

Yep all prepared :)

Doesn't help that the water feed hasn't got an isolator valve so if I don't get it water tight afterwards we won't be having water for a day or two :)

Thanks for everyone's help with this.

Sponsored Links
Why not fit an isolator ? You can turn off water ,drain down, fit isolator ,put water back on . you can then sort WC while rest of house has water ,but more importantly when you put WC back together ,you will have full control of water close at hand.

Why not fit an isolator ? You can turn off water ,drain down, fit isolator ,put water back on . you can then sort WC while rest of house has water ,but more importantly when you put WC back together ,you will have full control of water close at hand.

Yep that's first thing to do when you've shut water off, you can even buy flexi pipes with isolator built in to make it easier.

Attachments

• IMG_20180118_205159025.jpg
    IMG_20180118_205159025.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Oh dear ! Push fit on what looks like a chrome plated copper pipe . not good at all ,not good AT ALL. Could be in danger of coming apart at any tme.

Hi guys,

One more quick question. Is there something I can buy to terminate the flexi hose in case i need to abandon the work. Otherwise I won't be able to switch the water back on.

I am thinking of leaving the current one on there as don't fancy mucking about with a push on connector.

Thanks

Push fit connectors on chrome plated copper pipes are a big no ,no !! Unless the chrome has been filed off the end of the pipe ,before its inserted into the fitting , up to about 20 mm from the end of the pipe ,it is likely to pull apart. You should never use a push fit straight onto chrome plated pipe, it could blow off at any moment. The flexi with a built in isolator ,as linked above ,is a compression fitting ,to your supply pipe.and is fine to fit onto the chrome plated copper pipe that you have. If things dont go well with w.c ,you turn the iso valve off ,and the rest of your house water can be on.

Back to tool station for me then :)

It must be pushed onto copper as has been on for 12 years. (Not put on by me)

So does the push fit just pull off with a bit of force and the new flexi is easy to put on the pipe?

Thanks again

I think you are very fortunate that it has lasted 12 years cos looking at it ,I think it had just been shoved on . the compression joint on flexi to supply pipe is made using two spanners ,or one spanner and a good pair of grips.one holds the valve body to prevent it from turning and the other tightens the nut ,compressing the olive onto the supply pipe. To remove the old push fit flexi ,with water supply off obviously ,press the dark grey ring inward ,into the white body of the fitting,whilst turning the white fitting and pulling away from supply pipe at the same time.

Ha ha turns out it is just cheap chrome looking plastic on the pipe so assume the push on connector is on copper.

I am such an amateur!

Attempting this today guys. Last question.

Should I use plumbers grease on various bits like the doughnut washer and bolts in the cistern?

All done guys.

Seems to be working perfectly without water coming from anywhere it shouldn't be.

Thanks for everyone's help with this as wouldn't have gone so smoothly without your advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back