Leaking Flapper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a very slow drip from the flapper into the toilet which is causes the cistern to fill for a few seconds every 10 mins.

It is quite old and was wondering if anyone could tell me what size flush value seal I would need for this type. I have no idea if they are standard.

By flush value seal I mean the rubber thing at the bottom that seals against the bottom of the cistern, looks like a big washer i think.

I have attached some photos.

Thanks for any help - brilliant site.

Attachments

• IMG_20180103_073409841.jpg
    IMG_20180103_073409841.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20180103_073415041.jpg
    IMG_20180103_073415041.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20180103_073422461.jpg
    IMG_20180103_073422461.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links
For the price of a new seal, if you can actually find one for it, you're probably better off just replacing the flush valve itself.

If you wish to try though, you may actually be able to pop that flush valve out, 1/4 turn anti clockwise and it may click and then lift out and then see what seal it needs. If it doesn't click loose easily when trying to turn then don't force it as it may not be modular.

Thanks. I'll probably look to buy new one I think.

Time for another newbie question. Do I just replace the plastic contraption and leave the filler part (the black part on the left that fills up the cistern) as it is? and just connect the two together?

Will most fit the cistern I have?

Thanks again.

The black fill valve isn't part of the flush valve, they are separate items so just leave it alone if it fills ok. You want what is called a drop valve for your cistern, you just need to get one that will fit your button placement. Yes most will fit your cistern but just get a slimline version for yours.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Got both of these yesterday.

Just to make sure I'm not over complicating this. To just replace the flush valve I need to completely remove the cistern?

Was hoping it could be done without that.

Thanks

Hi guys just bumping this before I get started in removing everything.

Is there a chance I can just replace the flusher value without removing the cistern and filler valve.

Does my new fluidmaster flush valve have to be compatible with the part underneath the cistern?

Thanks

As your pics only show the inside of your cistern ,can you take pic of the water supply pipe ,from below where it meets the fill valve tail. To answer your question ,yes the cistern has to be removed from the pan to fit your new flush valve. Before starting you will need a few other things. A pair of bolts and sealing washers set for joining cistern to pan ,as the ones currently there will need to be dumped. You will need a "do nut " washer ,this makes a seal between the cistern outlet and pan. You may also need a new seal between the fill valve and supply pipe ,which may be the type advised by Andy. But you may need a different type ,depending on how its currently set up ,hence me asking for a picture above.

Attachments

• IMG_20180117_212913451.jpg
    IMG_20180117_212913451.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20180117_214237918.jpg
    IMG_20180117_214237918.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Cheers ,the pack of seals that Andy ( Hertsdrainage ) suggested you buy ,are not suitable for the flexi hose that connects to the fill valve. The current rubber seal that's in there may be re -useable if in good nick. If not you need a 1/2 inch rubber seal. You will Also need ALL of the items I advised on ,in my earlier post.

Just took another look at your components ,and there should be a small nut ,that goes with the fill valve.it is the one that secures it to underside of cistern...do you have it ??

Make sure its not inside the flush valve !! You can probably use the one currently holding the existing fill valve in place ,together with old washer. But you should have them with the new one though.

Yeah sorry it was loose in the box. It's a plastic nut and it did fit onto the bottom of the fill valve.

On the thick black plastic part of the fill valve that moves up and down. The bottom part was separated away from the top half when purchased. I managed to squeeze it back together. Hopefully it's not faulty.

Apologies for all this checking but it's the only toilet in our house so I can't start the job and not finish it!

Looking at your list I just need the below and a 1/2 rubber seal?

Do I need the metal plate as well or can that be reused?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/euroflo-close-coupling-cistern-bolts/48787

"A pair of bolts and sealing washers set for joining cistern to pan ,as the ones currently there will need to be dumped"

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/leaking-flapper.495253/#ixzz54U4jtz2q

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back