Toilet cistern flapper problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every now and then in this warm weather i have noticed mainly in the night when things are quiet that the toilet cistern decides to fill up slightly,obviously it also does it in the day time but not as noticeable.
I put it down to possibly the water evaporating thus making the level lower then the fill vale lets the water in.
I have now noticed a small trickle of water running down the toilet pan,so this is how the level is dropping.
I have removed the flapper seal & checked it for lime etc but its 2 years old and perfectly clean etc.
Having fitted the seal back to the plastic cap i then pushed this item quite firmly down to create a 100% seal.
Pulled the flush and after a complete refil i can still see the tricle of water in the pan.
If the flapper seal is then ok can you advise how or where the trickle of water is coming from ?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The top of the internal overflow is some 3 inches above the level of the water or are you saying its leaking at the bottom somewhere ?

Below is the inside of the cistern & flush seal.
Looking at the internal overflow i can only see that fault happening if the water went over the top then down the tube.
Its a sealed tube with the flush seal setup.
Looking at the photo the black line shows when the water is at its correct level,some way from the top of the internal overflow ?

CISTERN.jpg

FLUSHSEAL.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is the flapper valve fitted securely and sealed correctly?

AAAAAAAAARRRRGGHHH!
Just seen your pics. Inferior product.
Replace with a Fluidmaster flapper.

Ha Ha.
I forgot to mention,since i removed the plastic thing and washed it complete with the seal in the sink it now fills up every 10 minutes,where before it was like every 3 hours.

Do you use screw fix or toolstation where you could give me a part number.

Also can i just connect it to the part that is left in the toilet cistern or do i need to remove cistern from toilet etc as there is something acting as a seal between the two ?

Also can i just connect it to the part that is left in the toilet cistern or do i need to remove cistern from toilet etc as there is something acting as a seal between the two ?
You have a close-coupled toilet.

Turn off the water supply (isolating valve or mains stop cock). Drain cistern.
Remove connector from fill valve tail. (Fill valve looks decidedly Fluidmaster.)
Undo the 2 wingnuts below the cistern. Unscrew from wall. Lift cistern.

You will see a rubber washer (donut washer) between the cistern and pan. It would be a good idea to replace this, also, when refitting.

Undo the nut holding the flapper valve and remove from cistern.

Reverse process with Fluidmaster flapper valve.

I much prefer to use local independents to anything national.
Second choice would be either Plumbase, Buildbase or Selco.

If you have a top button you want a PRO72UK or 507UKK072.
If it's front or side lever or button you want a PRO73UK or 507UKK073.

Ditch flapper completely: go for SFix 51173, button. 57025 lever. both dual flush they have a little clonk on half flush but so do many other positive shut off valves.Look at cistern pack for cheap extra fill valve if not FM. Then easy change clunk click job. These are my stock item in maintenance.

Yep will need cistern fixing kit etc but when done that's it.

Stick with the flapper type.

Screwfix 50692 will use your existing handle.
Screwfix 30533 replaces handle with button.

Both dual flush. Might clonk on half flush, but with some fine-tuning that can be sorted. Mine does not clonk any more.
Little to go wrong, simplicity itself to fix if in the unlikely event something does.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back