LED TV from fused switched spur but TV doesn't have earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise me please

I've concealed cables for a new TV. Knowing that the new TV is just twin core (no earth wire) I ran a length of the same.

I ran this cable to behind a single socket I was planning to repace with the fused switched spur, however i'm now worried about the fact there is no earth wire to the TV. Should I be?

I am aware concealed cables ought to be the grey type with a solid core earth but as I say not much use to my TV. The TV is very slim and going on a very slimline bracket so having a seperate socket behind (or beside) the TV is something I was trying to avoid.

Thanks for input

Sponsored Links
The best way would have been a new socket in proper 2.5 twin and earth cable. That way you could have kept the plug on the tv.

If you are stuck with the 2 core flex you have installed it would be ok to use if you join it to the tv flex with a plastic in-line enclosed connector, with suitable cable clamps.

I'm SURE someone will send an image of one.

Wire the other end to a switched fused spur unit.

hmm, most flatscreen TVs i've seen do have an earth connection.

Really the proper way to do this is to run T&E from the FCU to a flex outlet plate behind the TV.

I'd better add to keep myself right- Currently my two core cable is behind the single socket I mention which has metal conduit to it but earlier today I had a Homer Simpson "DOH!" moment realising I have a handier fused spur for a toilet saniflo right on the other side of the stud party wall I am mounting the telly on to. This spur has no conduit but certainly solid core earth in it. My saniflo I notice has an earth wire!

I think the saniflo spur will be easier to connect into, the single socket has loads of wires screwed into it, best left alone....

Sponsored Links
hmm, most flatscreen TVs i've seen do have an earth connection.

Really the proper way to do this is to run T&E from the FCU to a flex outlet plate behind the TV.

The 32" tellys i've looked at have actually been about 50/50 with/without earth. It's a Samsung without...

So, It appears I should be ok to just go with what I was planning. Is the risk mainly someone for example drilling or banging a nail into a non earthed section of my two core cable?

I probably could just about run 2.5 T&E cable from myfused spur to a flat faceplate behind TV. Is then connecting the TV flex into that better and safer (as I said above someone drilling etc..)?

That is IMO the best setup, the fixed part of the wiring is earthed and in T&E as is conventional for fixed wiring and you have an earth if you change the TV for one that needs earthing later.

Make sure any concealed cables are run in permitted routed.

That is IMO the best setup, the fixed part of the wiring is earthed and in T&E as is conventional for fixed wiring and you have an earth if you change the TV for one that needs earthing later.

Make sure any concealed cables are run in permitted routed.

Thanks. I will try to do this then

Where can I find some info on permitted routing for inside this stud partition wall? If I use my saniflo's connection on the other side of the wall I just have to run the cable up the middle of the wall about 1.5m from my new fused spur to the plate

The best way is to have a switched fused spur in a place where you can switch it off if you need to. The switch could control a 13 amp socket with the tv plugged into it. You would need 2.5 mm twin and earth cable.

You mention running off the saniflow supply. You wouldn't really want the tv running off the load side of the saniflow fcu. If the supply is a spur from a ring circuit, for example, you may not be able to add to it.

Most fixed wiring will have earth wires in these days.

The best way is to have a switched fused spur in a place where you can switch it off if you need to. The switch could control a 13 amp socket with the tv plugged into it. You would need 2.5 mm twin and earth cable.

You mention running off the saniflow supply. You wouldn't really want the tv running off the load side of the saniflow fcu. If the supply is a spur from a ring circuit, for example, you may not be able to add to it.

Most fixed wiring will have earth wires in these days.

What do you mean by "the load side" of the fcu?

You would be right in assuming I don't know much about this sort of thing, but I was hoping I can just add to this circuit (wherever its come from...!)by adding this new fcu into the equation. I was thinking the TV will be low current so not putting a big strain on anything?

I mean the saniflo presumably has a switch or an unswitched connection point, with a fuse in it. The 'load' side is where the saniflo is connected to and is protected by the fuse.

How easy is it to replace the cable you put in for the tv?

If you are doubtful about the wiring, join with a flex connector and just fit a 13 amp plug on the other end and plug into the existing socket.

Unfortunately not all that easy to replace the cable ran for the tv. However I MIGHT be able to run new 2.5 t&e up to a flat faceplate behind where the tv's to go from the new fcu from the saniflo's fcu. You are right the saniflo is on a non switched but fused spur. I was planning on taking the "other" side (the power supply) over to an idential but switched spur on the other side of the wall.

I just looked above a false ceiling above my en-suite to see if the saniflo supply ran from a J Box. I can see everything else but THAT supply. It might come off light switch/switch for extractor fan supply.

There is no existing socket. The closest is this set up for saniflo

Unfortunately not all that easy to replace the cable ran for the tv. However I MIGHT be able to run new 2.5 t&e up to a flat faceplate behind where the tv's to go from the new fcu from the saniflo's fcu. You are right the saniflo is on a non switched but fused spur. I was planning on taking the "other" side (the power supply) over to an idential but switched spur on the other side of the wall.

I just looked above a false ceiling above my en-suite to see if the saniflo supply ran from a J Box. I can see everything else but THAT supply. It might come off light switch/switch for extractor fan supply.

By existing socket I mean the one you ran the 2 core flex to.

Got you. Unfortunately even that isn't all that easy because i've got the cable poking through from behind the socket. To remove it means taking off wood panelwork which took hours...

I can chop it and disregard it tho!

By existing socket I mean the one you ran the 2 core flex to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back