Light Switch

07.07.2007%20NEW%20LIGHT%20SWITCH.jpg

07.07.2007%20NEW%20LIGHT%20SWITCH%201.jpg

Please call an experienced electrician to sort that out!
For all you DIY'ers out there, this is an example of how not to carry out electrical work.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

All I have done is followed (or I thought I had) the advise given to me.

Could I ask about the safe zone? The door is moving to the right of the switch and hence the cables will then be running up the left hand side of the door. Is this not OK.

All the wires have sleeving on them. The three core is red, yellow, blue and the earth?

The single core used to go out of the metal box without a grommet! It feeds a switch at the other side of the wall.

Should I evacuate the house?

Bobbler

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

All I have done is followed (or I thought I had) the advise given to me.

Could I ask about the safe zone? The door is moving to the right of the switch and hence the cables will then be running up the left hand side of the door. Is this not OK.

All the wires have sleeving on them. The three core is red, yellow, blue and the earth?

The single core used to go out of the metal box without a grommet! It feeds a switch at the other side of the wall.

Should I evacuate the house?

Bobbler

You should have red tape or sleeving on the yellow & blue to denote it as a live conductor.

Thanks Securespark, that's easily fixed. I have some red insulation tape.

What about that live going out of the box to the switch at the other side of the wall? How do I change that? That's how I found it - almost. (See older picture).

Bobbler[/quote]

Well, you could sleeve it to give it double insulation & make sure it's in a safe zone. Can a hole be drilled between the two switch boxes and a conduit placed in the wall through which it can run?

If you think that insulating the wire more and running it through a conduit would be a good idea then I will. I may need to take a brick out which will be as easy as drilling I think.

Again thanks for the advise.

Can anyone expand on the "safe zone"??

This may be an example to "all you DIY'ers out there, of how not to carry out electrical work." But if I don't ask then I will never get it right.

Thanks

Bobbler

Thanks RF Lighting for that. I do appreciate it.

To the layman it can be quite complicated though.

Many thanks

Bobbler.

where does that other cable go to? the light switch on the other side?

I would move the light switch to the right a bit, and put the 3 core out of the top and the other cable and sigle passing through this box and out the back to the switch behind..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back