Lighting - 1.5mm2 or 1mm2 for switched line?

cold chisel

p3564961_x.jpg

Now I've been thinking about one of those babies! Any new power tools must, of course, be completely over specced for the job. Where do I put the petrol?

Sponsored Links
New angle grinder for me! Last time I did a rewire I was just a poverty-stricken student and did the lot with hammer & cold chisel and a power drill. The blisters....

On a domestic bog standard lighting circuit in a standard 3 bed house i see no need to spend extra money on larger cables which take more work to hide in walls and leave less room to work in light fittings or switch boxes. As already stated 1,0mm is good for 10 Amps should the need arrise if it isnt surrounded in insulation, now two circuits at 10 amps each equates to 20amps of lighting, is this really possible in an average 3 bed house??

By all means slug the 1.5mm in, but I dont think you will need it.

Sponsored Links
Sadly it is if people choose lights which do such a bad job of actually lighting up rooms that they need masses of the the things.

That's not an angle grinder.

Yes, it's a wall chaser. I don't make my living as an electrician and an angle grinder may be more use to me and will do the chasing job adequately.

EDIT:

Mind you, at that price it might well be the right tool for the job! Thanks!

OK - thanks for all the tips, particularly on the cable sizing. I will size correctly according to length, routing & load.

Interested in the chasing tips/tools. It's a trade-off between effort & mess (as usual).

and an angle grinder may be more use to me and will do the chasing job adequately.

You can then spend the rest of your life getting rid of the dust.

Club hammer and bolster is the tried and tested method, its also the cleanest.

It seems to me that we've had this discussion before, as as usual, I suspect the people who criticise wall chasers have not used one hooked up to a good workshop vac. I borrowed the exact same one as shown in the picture above from a friend, hooked it up to an Earlex Combivac and used it for chasing in some pipework at home. It made far, far, far less mess than using a hammer and chisel, and despite the scaremongering from holmslaw above, your room does not fill with dust as long as you use a vac!

I honestly believe you could use one of these in a decorated room and you'd only need to put a blanket down on the floor area immediately underneath the chase, and that's no different to if you'd been doing the job by hand.

Given that the erbauer chaser is about £100 and you can get a combivac for around £50, it's got to be worth a pop.

Club hammer and bolster is the tried and tested method, its also the cleanest.

Why don't read the posts before gobbing off, the op said he was going to use an angle grinder thats what I was responding to.

You know what, holmslaw, I'm getting quite sick of your attitude towards a great many people on here just recently. Quite frankly, I think it stinks. If you can't manage to construct a polite response when someone disagrees with you, I suggest you take yourself elsewhere.

I still stand by my response, club hammer and bolster is NOT the cleanest method. If you honestly believe that, I suggest you hire a wall chaser with a good quality extraction vac and try it out for yourself, then come back here with the results.

All right - put your handbags down! I probably will use a grinder or a wall chaser for at least some of the work, and the carpets and decor need changing. I think I can use my common sense as to what tools to use.

You can carry on now!

You know what, holmslaw, I'm getting quite sick of your attitude towards a great many people on here just recently. Quite frankly, I think it stinks. If you can't manage to construct a polite response when someone disagrees with you, I suggest you take yourself elsewhere.

You seem to see imaginary additional words in sentences and are prone to exageration. You imply that I have upset many people, well no ones complained to me. Be best if you grew up a bit, learn not to lash when you make a mistake.

Funny how it's hard for some people to see beyond the end of their own nose...

I wonder how Chri5 felt about this you had to say in a previous thread:

[Could I suggest that if you can't bring anything constructive to the table, don't come to the table in the 1st place :D

Could I suggest that you keep your stupid nose out of things that are above you're mental capacity.

The fact is, you seem to be rapidly turning into the same sort of bully that you have implied Ban-All-Sheds to be on a number or previous occasions.

Edit - I think I've seen whats got your back up - the thread about 25mm holes. It is not my fault you are unable to appreciate the difference between a hole saw and a hole punch, educate yourself read my contribution.

Yes, the fact that I mentioned a holesaw and hole punch in the same paragraph but different sentences is clearly indicative of the fact that I do not understand the difference between the two :rolleyes:

I've never had any problems taking a 20mm knockout to 25mm with a holesaw. I can see how using a punch would be problematic, though.

Seriously, I don't want for us not to get along, however tempting it may be for me to add you to my ignore list.

I have clearly disproven your points on all accounts by posting accurate, unedited quotes of my posts on this forum to which you were referring. However, I would appreciate you not making false allegations against me in the future, as I don't have the time to defend myself every time you kick the toys out of the pram.

I suspect the people who criticise wall chasers have not used one hooked up to a good workshop vac. I borrowed the exact same one as shown in the picture above from a friend, hooked it up to an Earlex Combivac and used it for chasing in some pipework at home. It made far, far, far less mess than using a hammer and chisel, and despite the scaremongering from holmslaw above, your room does not fill with dust as long as you use a vac!
I've got one, and I gave it a test the other day (in the garage) with a boggo-standard domestic vac attached (Electrolux, i.e. not even one of the quality makes), and the results were encouraging enough for me to plan to give it a go in the kitchen this weekend. Certainly didn't seem as though it would be any worse than SDS chiselling...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back