loft boards safe to walk on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I assumed they were but have read conflicting information on searches of the net.
My house was built in 1991 and is a mid terrace. The joists are 9.4cm deep and 3.3cm wide, generally 56.5cm apart. I have boards which either lay across three joists or two and at one end might rest on strips of wood screwed well into the side of joists.
I've walked around up there already and haven't fallen through yet...

Can someone advise whether or not the boards make it safe to walk around up there or not. The boards are these ones:
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1233102052396&isSearch=true

Sponsored Links
i used those exact ones,there not the best quality and they do flex if the joints are not over a joist or very very close to.i found i had to baton a few underneath where the joins are not close to the joists to add strength.theyve been in 2 years and have had not problems

Many thanks yandownie. I've noticed them flex a little bit. I prefer my gf to walk around on them than me just to be sure (not saying I'd rather she fell through the roof than me, she's quite a bit lighter :))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back