Loft Joist / Timbers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Basically

I want to do some of the loft conversion my self including putting in the new floor joists.

The issue Is that my span is around 4.9 Meters x 2

If I use a single Timber, it will be too long to insert into the loft area.
So My plan is to use 3 smaller timbers and join them together, with somesort of bracket and coach bolts.

Speaking to my useless architecht he has said

"Calculations are based upon span you cannot join timbers and achieve loading requirements"

I will be using 9x2's

Ideas if hes right... ?

Sponsored Links
'The issue Is that my span is around 4.9 Meters x 2'

Does this mean your span is 9.8m, or is it two separate spans?

Splicing timbers together to increase span isn't advisable and would probably end up costing alot in fixing and time..
Consider putting a steel in to reduce the span or use TJI engineered joists for the longer span (or telescopic beams).. getting them in the loft shouldnt be an issue.. you can always remove a section of roof and feed them in up some scaffolding..

'The issue Is that my span is around 4.9 Meters x 2'

Does this mean your span is 9.8m, or is it two separate spans?

My span is 4.9 meters,

In the middle of the house is a brick built wall.

The 9.8meters ins the total lenght of the house.

Sponsored Links
Its standard practice to remove a section of the roof to see what you are doing, breath fresh air and get large beams in, then sheet it up at the end of the day.

Its standard practice to remove a section of the roof to see what you are doing, breath fresh air and get large beams in, then sheet it up at the end of the day.

I know that :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back