Lots of mold on back of oak front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope you could give me a little bit of advice please?

I have an english oak front door - leading directly into our front sitting room. The door was made for us by a local tradesman, who is now deceased. Unfortunately, it doesn't fit particularly well and there are gaps. It has been tolerable for the last year or so but this year the driving rain seems to have penetrated the wood completely, which is soaked and now covered in mold. It is covered with a heavy door curtain most of the time, which I appreciate may be trapping condensation and making the situation worse - but if we don't cover it there is a draught when it's cold and windy.

The front of the door has been routinely brushed witrh danish oil, but nothing has been done to the back.

Do you think if I tried to somehow dry the door out and treat is wiuth danish oil, varnish or something that that would make a difference - or am I flogging a dead horse??

Thanks for reading this.

Sponsored Links
There must be some kind of anti-mold wood paint suitable for oak? I have no experience, but there must surely be something to treat it. Phone Wickes and ask? Good luck!

It's quite possible to make a door weather tight without a finish, with the right joints and proper full fill adhesives at joints. A finish should really only be to help protect the joints against long term exposure, and some stabilisation.

Oils don't really help with sealing a door, they just act as a light water repellent. A varnish will seal it, but will be a nightmare to maintain.

A paint or stain is your best option, you want something that will actually go into the joints and "stick" to seal, which an oil doesn't.

Thanks for your advice - I will toddle on down to B and Q and have a little look at what they have got, and see if they have some kind of clear stain (if that's not a contradiction in terms :confused: ).
I haven't done the back of the door with anything at all so far - but looking at the back it is clear that the boards that make up the door are sodden right through, so I will have to wait I think for some better weather and try to dry it out before starting.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Mold will grow on any surface treated or not if there is no ventilation, the curtain is the problem, better to fit draft excluder seals .

I already have a draft seal down the side, and on the bottom as the gaps are so big. I think I need a new door really - one properly made that fits - just want to try to postpone the inevitable - If I took away the curtain it would be freezing and I would have to look at the door ....which is not pretty at the moment

Ventilation is part of the issue.

If the door (and door surround) is poorly insulated and has a cold surface, then you might have to have so much ventilation to stop any condensation forming that you would be living in a cold box.

If you have no hallway, and the door is direct to the room, a solid oak door isn't going to have good thermal performance, go for a door with thermal breaks (so a laminated oak door with thermal material in the core, google low u-value doors).

Thats great thanks - I will definately google them and I would never have known that.
Thanks again

if it is wet on the inside it is very lkely condensation from the warm moist indoor air. Does anybody drape wet washing around the house or over radiators?

if the inside surface is currently bare timber, then before oiling it, sand it clean and apply a few coats of Cuprinol Clear wood preserver. It is very effective and preventing fungus growth. You need to get the door dry before treating it.

Danish oil is a quick-drying treatment for indoor furniture, you will get better protection with Tung oil or Linseed oil.

A good joiner should be able to add beading and a water bar to prevent draughts and rain penetration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back