Lots of (possibly silly) questions

Ahh, yes, I suppose that the more normal thing would be a consultation with a view to work being carried out where the consultation is not itself chargeable but the work (obviously) would be. Forgive me for not knowing how all of this works: I have not owned a house before.

I think the best approach would be consultation to be charged for and if the work were to go ahead then maybe the fee could be 'negotiated'.....how's that?

Sponsored Links
I think the best approach would be consultation to be charged for and if the work were to go ahead then maybe the fee could be 'negotiated'.....how's that?

Do you provide central heating elves that turn the boiler and radiators on and off when required, fix any faults that may develop and make the tea in the morning? If so, perhaps...

Ahh, yes, [I suppose that the more normal thing would be a consultation with a view to work being carried out where the consultation is not itself chargeable but the work (obviously) would be. Forgive me for not knowing how all of this works: I have not owned a house before.

Its people with that viewpoint that have stopped me from giving free quotation visits!

Their idea is to let me devise a system and quote for it and then they hawk it round the East Europeans for a half price job!

Today I was shown a Heatline boiler which had been fitted illegally by the exboyfriend of a customer who gets me to do her repairs! She refers to him as the "father of my daughter".

Tony[/b]

Sponsored Links
Ahh, yes, [I suppose that the more normal thing would be a consultation with a view to work being carried out where the consultation is not itself chargeable but the work (obviously) would be. Forgive me for not knowing how all of this works: I have not owned a house before.

Its people with that viewpoint that have stopped me from giving free quotation visits!

Their idea is to let me devise a system and quote for it and then they hawk it round the East Europeans for a half price job!

Today I was shown a Heatline boiler which had been fitted illegally by the exboyfriend of a customer who gets me to do her repairs! She refers to him as the "father of my daughter".

Tony[/b]

Yes, I suppose that that is the danger of that model from the tradesperson's point of view, although that is what I saw advertised on a few websites. I suppose that one way of combating that would be to charge for it, but waive that charge if the customer has more than a certain value of work done using that tradesperson within a certain period of the consultation.

I don't mind in principle paying a reasonable fee for a very thorough consultation, but I took the £300/hour suggestion as being made in jest, as it appears to have been intended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back