Lumps and bumps in professionally laid lawn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I have an area of 65m2 that i paid a gardener to lay turf. It needed level quite abit so i thought i would pay a professional to do it. Got some "premier turf". It cost £300 all in.

So anyway, after he laid it... i walked over the lawn to inspect it and it had loads of lumps and bumps. It just didn't seem level. I asked him about this and he just mumbled something about new turf doing that and it was ok.

That night i walked over the turf for once last time to inspect the bumps again. I lifted one roll of turf and it had a big rock underneath it!! I havnt walked on it since to make sure it roots down ok.

So a week down the line and there are in places 2 inch gaps between some of the turf rolls and some "dead" patches too.

I have been watering twice a day everyday. I also put lawn feed down to help the process.

I complained to the gardener and he said i couldn't have been watering it correctly!! He said he will come back in a week to look at it.

So my questions are-

1. When turf is freshly laid would you expect when you walk on it for it to have lumps and bumps every so often?

2. How can he level it now that most of the turf has rooted down??

3. Any other comments/suggestions would be very much appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
You're not saying you paid £4.60/m² including turf and its a crap job and you're surprised are you?

That doesnt help does it...

The turf was £150 and he charged £150 for a days work. Which i thought was fair. No?

Sponsored Links
Did he do any preparation work to the ground before laying the turf? it sounds as if it was just plonked down on what was there.If this is the case then get him back to do it properly.

But did you see him actually preparing the area.How noticeable are the lumps
if its all over then it will all have to come up and redo or if its only a couple of areas you might be able to lift individual turfs to level it out.You're watering you say no rain up your way then.

But did you see him actually preparing the area.How noticeable are the lumps
if its all over then it will all have to come up and redo or if its only a couple of areas you might be able to lift individual turfs to level it out.You're watering you say no rain up your way then.

I seen him raking and using the rotovator yeh.

I would say the lumps are very noticable when you walk on them.

It didnt rain for 7 days so i had to water, its been good weather up here- shock lol

It didnt rain for 7 days so i had to water, its been good weather up here- shock lol

Are the lumps all over or only isolated areas,and the "premier turf" did you buy it or was it supplied by matey boy.

Are the lumps all over or only isolated areas,and the "premier turf" did you buy it or was it supplied by matey boy.

The lumps are over 2/3 of the full lawn i would say.
So for a freshly laid lawn- if you walked over it- would you expect to notice any lumps/bumps? Or should be be poker straight right after it has been laid?

The turf was sourced by myself and he ordered and paid for.

So for a freshly laid lawn- if you walked over it- would you expect to notice any lumps/bumps? Or should be be poker straight right after it has been laid?

I wouldn't expect it to be poker straight unless thats what he promised but neither would I expect to be able to pick up large rocks from under the turfs.You have two choices either get him back and redo it(but if he didn't do it properly first time why should it be any better the second time) or sort it out yourself.Was there any paper work involved or was it a cash jobby.

I wouldn't expect it to be poker straight unless thats what he promised but neither would I expect to be able to pick up large rocks from under the turfs.You have two choices either get him back and redo it(but if he didn't do it properly first time why should it be any better the second time) or sort it out yourself.Was there any paper work involved or was it a cash jobby.

It was cash but i have texts and emails tracking back. Hes coming on the 8th June, not sure what hes going to do though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back