Main bonding diagram (2)

I don't think we can get away from the fact that if you and John are correct then there is no need to have written the regulation at all as it makes the pipe not an extraneous-c-p.
Agreed - but given that, even with your interpretation, the reg is incorrect/silly, I don't think we should discount the possibility that it has also indicated a requirement to bond something that is not an extraneous-c-p.

In fact, if the meter does not provide electrical continuity, I don't think that the two interpretations are really any different - since, in both cases, they are 'requiring' the bonding of something which is not an extraneous-c-p.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
At the point of entry means exactly that.
Yes, but perhaps they thought like I do. It is, after all, virtually impossible to fit anything at (your definition) the point of entry.

After the point of entry is not at it, it is after it.
It is but they could not write that as anywhere inside would be after the point of entry.

The arrow in the photo is pointing at a location after the point of entry.
Ok but how would it be possible to fit it touching the ground?

But that is OK - 544.1.2 requires the connection to be made as near as practicable to the point of entry, i.e. at the minimum practical distance after it. It does not require it to be made at the point of entry.
That is true, but
the offending clause states:
"The MPB ... shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry ... . Where there is an insulating section or insert at that point, or there is a meter ..."
It continues:
"Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600mm. of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry ... ."
At the very least it is inconsistent.

A meter cannot be fitted at (your definition) the point of entry leaving no external pipe visible or touchable.

I ask again, how can such things be physically fitted at (your definition) the point of entry leaving no external pipe visible or touchable?

Agreed - but given that, even with your interpretation, the reg is incorrect/silly, I don't think we should discount the possibility that it has also indicated a requirement to bond something that is not an extraneous-c-p.
I don't understand the point you are making.
Are you saying we should do that regardless?

In fact, if the meter does not provide electrical continuity, I don't think that the two interpretations are really any different - since, in both cases, they are 'requiring' the bonding of something which is not an extraneous-c-p.
Yes, but my main contention is that it requires parts that are e-c-ps be left unbonded.

I don't understand the point you are making.
I'm saying that, no matter what interpretation one utilises, the regulation appears to be, at least in some situations, 'incorrect'.
Are you saying we should do that regardless?
No. I personally would do what I (and you) believe to be 'correct' and would ('in private') advise anyone else to do likewise, regardless of what the regulation says. Whether or not 'we' (and that should include BAS) feel it appropriate to give that same advice 'in public' is what has to be decided.
Yes, but my main contention is that it requires parts that are e-c-ps be left unbonded.
Indeed so. As I recently wrote, my daughter's water supply is a prize example, with a couple of metres of relatively 'touchable' pipe which would remain unbonded (in her TN-C-S installation) if the meter is non-conductive (it certainly all looks plastic), were it not for the fact that I have bonded it for her. As I have discussed before, the situation in my house is even worse, since there is a 5-6 metre length of totally touchable steel pipe in my cellar upstream of the (again, seemingly plastic) water meter - which, again, if I had obeyed the regs, would have remained without effective bonding.

[ I say 'without effective bonding' since, as I have mentioned before, 'they' have put a G/Y strap across the meter, but in what appears to be 2.5mm², or maybe even smaller, cable. I can't remember whether my daughter's house has such a 'strap' but if it has one of the same CSA as mine, that would not realy be adequate in a TN-C-S installation. ]

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Maybe that's why they added the strap! I seem to remember that gas people have some crocodile clips to maintain bonding if they're breaking a connection before the bonding ie the meter.
If it were sensibly bonded ie earlier then that problem wouldn't exist on an internal meter.

Given that in the picture the arrowed object is an insulating section and you can see where the meter is we would bond the pipe which emerges from the ground - in contravention of a wrong regulation.

I cannot understand how, as in my link to the IET article, this regulation persists.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about the intention and meaning of 'at the point of entry' but it does not alter anything.
If you are corrct then it is wrong and also unnecessary, and
if I am correct it is just wrong.

Agreed - to your last two posts.
Goodness, we seem to be making progress!

As I have said, I think the main thing for you to decide is whether it is 'appropriate' to publicly advise people to do what we believe to be correct, even if/when it appears to be 'contrary to regulations'. I'm not sure that I ever thought I would find myself saying this but, on this occasion, I think that the most 'conservative' approach might be to pay attention to whatever BAS feels about this.

I would personally say that the examples I have cited of my and my daughter's water supplies illustrate how it can sometimes be arguably important to do the 'correct' thing (in the interests of safety), even if it is 'contrary to regulations'.

Kind Regards, John

I think we will have to agree to disagree about the intention and meaning of 'at the point of entry' but it does not alter anything. If you are corrct then it is wrong and also unnecessary, and if I am correct it is just wrong.
Quite so - so, as you say, in either case it is 'wrong'.

As a matter of interest, roughly how far from the actual 'point of entry' would you feel could reasonable be considered as still being 'at' the point of entry (as per your being 'at the window)?

Kind Regards, John

Quite so - so, as you say, in either case it is 'wrong'.
Exactly.

As a matter of interest, roughly how far from the actual 'point of entry' would you feel could reasonable be considered as still being 'at' the point of entry (as per your being 'at the window)?
Does it matter? It is just wrong with either definition.

In the case of your plastic water meter and a considerable distance it still says bond to the consumer side and leave the e-c-ps unbonded.

Even when we bond at the point of entry, do we have to make the joint tight to the ground or wall making the strap and screw difficult to tighten

Does it matter? It is just wrong with either definition.
Well, yes, it could matter in some cases. If the insulating section were sufficiently far from the point of entry that not even you would regard it as being 'at' the point of entry, then the regulation would not be wrong, because it would then require the pipe upstream of the insulating section to be bonded 'as near as practicable' to the point of entry - which is what you, I and electrical common senses says should be done.
In the case of your plastic water meter and a considerable distance it still says bond to the consumer side and leave the e-c-ps unbonded.
Indeed - and I think we are agreed that when the distance is 'considerable', the reg is, arguably, not just 'wrong' but actually 'ridiculously wrong'/dangerous.

In fact, I've just realised that the situation here is far 'worse' than I have described. The 5-6 metres of pipe (before my meter) within my cellar which would be unbonded if I 'complied with regs' is but the tip of an iceberg. There is a branch from that pipe which travels in copper for 15+ metres along my cellar wall (exposed and easily touchable for most of its length) to supply an adjacent property. All of that would remain unbonded (at least, to my MET) if I 'followed the regulations'.

Kind Regards, John

Even when we bond at the point of entry, do we have to make the joint tight to the ground or wall making the strap and screw difficult to tighten
I don't think that even the infamous regulation ever requires that bonding be applied 'at' the point of entry - only 'a close as practicable', which allows one to take into account practicalities such as you mention.

Kind Regards, John

There is a branch from that pipe which travels in copper for 15+ metres along my cellar wall (exposed and easily touchable for most of its length)
Is it touchable at the same time as any equipotential parts? How about the cellar floor, is that damp and at local earth potential? Maybe you need mesh in the floor too!
Interestingly the folks on the iet forum discussed this with a bit of a slant on what happens if the pipe work is redundant.
http://www.theiet.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=42813

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back