Main bonding diagram (2)

Well, yes, it could matter in some cases. If the insulating section were sufficiently far from the point of entry that not even you would regard it as being 'at' the point of entry, then the regulation would not be wrong, because it would then require the pipe upstream of the insulating section to be bonded 'as near as practicable' to the point of entry - which is what you, I and electrical common senses says should be done.
Well, yes but that just makes it (the reg.) even sillier.

Indeed - and I think we are agreed that when the distance is 'considerable', the reg is, arguably, not just 'wrong' but actually 'ridiculously wrong'/dangerous.
Exactly.

In fact, I've just realised that the situation here is far 'worse' than I have described. The 5-6 metres of pipe (before my meter) within my cellar which would be unbonded if I 'complied with regs' is but the tip of an iceberg. There is a branch from that pipe which travels in copper for 15+ metres along my cellar wall (exposed and easily touchable for most of its length) to supply an adjacent property. All of that would remain unbonded (at least, to my MET) if I 'followed the regulations'.
There you go.
How many would blindly follow the regulation?

Sponsored Links
I don't think that even the infamous regulation ever requires that bonding be applied 'at' the point of entry - only 'a close as practicable', which allows one to take into account practicalities such as you mention.
It does when the meter is external.

Is it touchable at the same time as any equipotential parts?
Well, since I have contravened the regulation, it IS roughly equipotential (with my MET and everything connected to it), since I have bonded it - but if I had complied with the regulation then, yes, it (and unbonded extraneous-c-p) and things that were bonded to my MET would very easily be simultaneously touchable (pipes often run quite close together).
How about the cellar floor, is that damp and at local earth potential? Maybe you need mesh in the floor too!
Yep, and 'wet' rather than 'damp' at times (underfloor drainage pipes, a sump and a pump are kept busy when it rains!) - just (in many cases broken!) quarry tiles laid on top of quarry tiles which are directly on sand/soil. ... so, yes, theoretically it should be 'bonded'! Given that it's a TT installation, I'm a lot less concerned about this than I otherwise might be, since a substantial PD between bonded metal (pipes etc.) and the floor should only arise in the case of an 'L-E' fault within my installation, and that only for as long as it took an RCD to operate.

Kind Regards, John

There you go. How many would blindly follow the regulation?
Who knows - you and I certainly wouldn't. However, we've heard it said that it is not the place of mere mortals such as us to 'know better' than the clever committee which writes the regulations - and therefore for us to contravene what, in their infinite wisdom, they have 'actually written'.

That's why I will be interested to hear BAS's views on this matter.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It does when the meter is external.
It does.

... and, as you suggested before, in this case it is far from clear whether 'at the point of entry' refers to a point on the external wall or the point where it enters the interior of the building.

I think the bottom line of all this is that any sensible person who does not feel constrained to 'comply with regulations, regardless' would probably simply ignore this entire regulation and simply apply electrical common sense. I suppose that is essentially what I (and quite probably you) actually do do!

Kind Regards, John

Who knows - you and I certainly wouldn't. However, we've heard it said that it is not the place of mere mortals such as us to 'know better' than the clever committee which writes the regulations - and therefore for us to contravene what, in their infinite wisdom, they have 'actually written'.
That would seem not to be the case.

Never assume those in charge know what they are doing.

That would seem not to be the case. Never assume those in charge know what they are doing.
I agree, but I'd still like to hear BAS's attitude to the issue.

I also tend to 'ignore' 20mph speed restrictions outside of school gates at 3am during school holidays - but some, even including some members of the police force, seem to regard that as a hanging offence!

Kind Regards, John

I agree, but I'd still like to hear BAS's attitude to the issue.
I seem to have skipped a page or so - will need to go back.

I also tend to 'ignore' 20mph speed restrictions outside of school gates at 3am during school holidays - but some, even including some members of the police force, seem to regard that as a hanging offence!
It is an offence.

However ridiculous you find speed limits at a particular time and place, you do not have the right to decide that they don't apply to you, and the police would be perfectly within their rights to prosecute.

We could make much better use of variable speed limits, which take into account time of day, day of week, traffic conditions, weather conditions, but until we do obeying a 20mph limit near a school is not optional at any time.

I seem to have skipped a page or so - will need to go back.
Fair enough. As I said, I would value your view.

The question is quite simple - whether we feel it is appropriate that EFLI should (in the wiki) 'advise' people to do what he (and I, and others), believe to be 'correct', despite that being apparently contrary to the regulations, because we believe that complying with the regulation could, in some situations (like my cellar) be dangerous. In view of what you say (predictably) about my speed limit analogy ....
It is an offence. However ridiculous you find speed limits at a particular time and place, you do not have the right to decide that they don't apply to you, and the police would be perfectly within their rights to prosecute.
... I suspect you will say that EFLI should 'advise' people to comply with the regulation in question, even if he (and I, and others) believes that to comply could, in some cases, create a danger.

Kind Regards, John

I don't think the analogy appropriate.

A more accurate one would be driving past the school at 20mph even though the speed limit was actually 30mph.
I.e. thinking - knowing - the regulation is wrong and dangerous.

upload_2017-10-22_14-38-32.png

Last edited:
I don't think the analogy appropriate.
I didn't really intend it as an analogy. I was merely pointing out that it is a situation in which I personally would have no problem in 'breaking the law' (provided I didn't think I was going to get caught!), or 'advising' others to do likewise, but suspect that BAS would regard that as irresponsible advice, which shouldn't be given.

I do agree that if one believed that, for some reason, driving at 20mph in that situation could actually be dangerous, then the argument for advising people not to do it would be even stronger - but I suspect that BAS would, even then, still say that "the law is the law" and that one should not advise people to break it, even if one believes that complying with the law could be dangerous.

Whatever, it will be interesting to hear what BAS decided.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back