Megaflo System - Poor performance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I realise that there have been several postings on this before but wondered if anyone has managed to find a reasonably priced solution ?

We have water pressure of 2.3 bar coming into our house. Not the best but we went ahead with the megaflo as it was the most cost effective as we have a massive whirlpool bath.

Initially, despite not having replaced the existing pipe to the mains from the old 15mm to the reccomended 22mm performance was excellent when we had a basic shower that operated over our bath. Then we had a fancy shower fitted and performance has plummeted, not just in the shower, but all over the house. The plumber said he had replaced some really old pipes as well but said that should not effect anything.

I suspect that there may be some sort of flow restriction somewhere.
Ant ideas??

Sponsored Links
really old pipes
Probably had some rust flakes in them which are now bunched up .
Call your plumber back :rolleyes:
Also check your Megaflo doesn't need recharging - instructions are on its side.

Thanks for the response, but performance plummeted after the installation, plumber refused to do anything unless I had the mains plumbed in at 22mm.

Sorry just to clarify.
Our old pipes used to make a big "clunk" noise as mains pressure was turned off/on. Flow rate all round house was v powerful. Then had new bathroom fitted, old pipes replaced, "clunk" noise dissapeared, flow rate decreased all around the house!

Any ideas. My shower is now a nightmare and I am trying to find a cost effective solution to fix this!

Sponsored Links
We have water pressure of 2.3 bar coming into our house. Not the best but we went ahead with the megaflo as it was the most cost effective as we have a massive whirlpool bath.
I would be quite happy with that BUT what you did not include was the flow rate. How many litres/min at that pressure? If it was static ie with all taps off then it is a pointless exercise measuring it!!

Thanks for the response, but performance plummeted after the installation, plumber refused to do anything unless I had the mains plumbed in at 22mm.
Understandable! People mix up pressure and flow. Increasing the pipesize will have zero effect on static pressure but have a dramatic effect when a tap is opened or shower turned on.

Unvented systems provide hot and cold water direct from the mains 'in real time' meaning there is no stored water which in turn means that a 15 mm pipe is simply too small. All the unvented cylinder manufacturers the I have delt with call for a 22mm supply MINIMUM.

What is the mains pressure anf flow rate now?

I am trying to find a cost effective solution to fix this

It would help if you could define the budget are you working to?

Thanks Everyone for your helpful replies.

Stopcock fully on and I recharged the megaflo last night....with a minor mishap. The over flow kept running for 2hrs. I tried opening the pressure release valve for a second and this stopped the overflow.

Slight improvement in flow rate now. But still not a "power shower".

Can anyone give me a rough idea on the cost of plumbing in the mains to 22mm (or bigger??).

My Budget.........as little as possible.

Thx

Tim

You sound too mean to have had the incoming water supply replaced when the cylinder was fitted. Clearly your plumber recommended that and it usually costs about £600-£1600.

You probably spent £1000-£4000 on some kind of very expensive fancy shower or bath and then wonder why it does not work well.

All we can tell you is just exactly what your pumber has already told you but you just dont want to spend your money!

Tony

Haha not too mean.
Plumber who fitted megaflo suggested we leave in the 15mm pipe to mains and if unhappy then replace with 22mm or larger.
Initially we WERE very happy with the shower performance, hence why we did not replace the mains.

You are correct we then got a fancy shower and bath fitted 2 yrs later....by a different plumber/bathroom installation company and were dissapointed with the performance.

One thing that puzzles me is why the large range in quotes for connecting the mains to 22mm(£600-£1600) ??

Also I have seen postings on this subject where people connect to the mains with a plastic (blue??) pipe larger than 22mm to optimize flow.
Is this correct ??

The pipe which usually restricts the flow is between your house and the street.

My mother was about 450m from the street but my terrace in the Midlands is built directly onto the street.

The water co usually charge a minimum of £500 for a new connection, digging the trench across your front space can be about 3100-£1000 or more if you have a long distance or its currently covered with concrete to break up.

Your disapointment with the new bath/shower is presumably because the flow was adequate for the old one but your latest luxury expects a lot more.

With a low static pressure I would recommend a 35 mm blue supply pipe as the extra cost is minimal.

Tony

Megaflo mi's state a 22mm connection is required...not fitted to manufacturers instructions therefore get the line upgraded. You wouldn't have dreamed of running your car without engine oil....that would be stupid but it's fine to ignore mi recomendations for plumbing.....doh

This question appears weekly in the forum.

You could get the main upgraded to a larger size, but it would be very prudent to check with your water supplier what the expected improvement in flow rate would be. The important thing to remember is that there is no guarantee that simply upsizing your supply will deliver what you are looking for.

The suggestion of £600-£1400 is based on the fact that no-one here has seen your property and your recently block paved driveway. Agile therefore in good faith provided two typical extremes; he is not quoting you for the job, few of us on here dig holes and run water mains.

Thx for the response Simon. That is why we were hesitant to invest a large sum of money when there was no guarantee that we would get the performance we were after.

I assume your solution would be to install an accumulator.
We have a 250 litre megaflow.

I would only suggest installing an accumulator if;

- the water supplier's expected flow rate from a bigger direct connection was not good enough for you

- or the cost of renewing the water main exceeded the cost of fitting an accumulator

I suggest you get a view from the water supplier on the improvement expected and the likely cost of renewal, and then make the call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back