Meter bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a new boiler install with no bonding at the meter whose responsability is it to provide one. Also on a particularly difficult access to the main earthing terminal at the meter can an earth rod be used? ( all the way on the other side of the house... with wood floors and decorations everywhere)!

Sponsored Links
You could just issue a notice saying no earth bonding to gas meter and happily skip off.Thats all transco and some corgi's do.

Personally i install it.The nbonding isnt notifiable but you still should know the correct size and how to terminate it.

No you cant just take it to an earth rod. Back to the MET is where it should go.

If it is awkward to do I leave a notice for customer and tell them its an electricians job, even though I'm Part P registered. I just don't want the hassle ;)

If the property is earthed via a ground rod then I cannot see any problem with another for the meter. If it is PME then no, as said it has to go back to earth point.

gas4you said:
If it is awkward to do I leave a notice for customer and tell them its an electricians job, even though I'm Part P registered. I just don't want the hassle ;)

Typical tradesman. Bodgit and scarper. ;)

I'm sure the customer would pay for the extra work involved, give him the choice at least.

Sponsored Links
You wouldn't install two rods because you'd possably get different values for each rod therefore the earth for the meter might be at a different potential to the main earth for the rest of the electrics.

Yes it has to be done, and I would quote for it and any other electrical work that needs doing but if it were just a gas fitter or meter fitter involved they shouldn't have to install main equipotential bonding and verify the connection. It is fair enough for them to advise the client to get a suitably qualified person to do that part of the job.

Would you want an electrician when he is doing his bonding who notices the gas pipe through the wall isn't sleeved, to cut into it and re run it?

Paul Barker said:
Would you want an electrician when he is doing his bonding who notices the gas pipe through the wall isn't sleeved, to cut into it and re run it?

I doubt he would even notice!

The whole point of main equipotential bonding is to keep parts at roughly the same potential, if you add a separate stake it might not be at the same potential as other metalwork connected to the MET so it is not acceptable.

You were told this over at the electrics forum. I understand you don't like the advice because it requires work, but that's the way it needs to be done, don't go looking for other people to tell you incorrect information just to make your life easier.

for your information Mr smarty pants owen I asked the question on this forum as well as the other one to see if there would be a difference of opinions between the electrical and heating forums. Furthermore it was a hypothetical question. I wasn't seeking "permission" to do a second class job.

Have you thought about asking the gardening forum? And then staying there :evil:

Right that's it, I came here to get help, and all you've done is be horrible to me, I'm off to have a duvet day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back