Mira sport shower suddenly gone cold

Great news! my shower now works again.

Thanks for the useful hints!

ok-wink.gif

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

First post on this site.

Reading through this thread, its looks like the problem I am having maybe similar to the ones a few people have had.

Basically, my shower a Mira Sport 2003 model is running cold water now no matter what setting high, medium or low and when running at different temperature up to very hot.

Looking at the posts above coupled with the fault diagnosis section on the Mira website it appears that the fault could be related to either the Thermal Switch (TCO) or the micro switch. A few of the posters here have replaced their TCO's and it seems to have done the trick. Just need to know which part. I currently don't have access to a multimeter to do a continuity test. Also not sure how easy it is to open the front cover of the shower. I notice from the installation guide that there are three screws 2 at the top and 1 at the bottom. Can anyone advise me if by unscrewing these 3 screws will enable the front cover of the shower to come out? My apologies for the silly question. I'm fairly confident that I can test the continuity once I can my hand on a multimeter and also replace the TCO. I just never opened the front cover of these before. Mira advise only a qualified electrician do this but posters above have successfully replaced this without any issues.

Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Once you take out the three screws, the case front will come off.

Obviously make sure the power is off before doing this!

I found the procedure for swapping over the TCO straightforward, although getting the old one out was a bit fiddly.

I got the part from Shower Doctor (http://www.showerdoc.com) who were helpful about what I needed, and very quick to send the part out.

You may need some "star" screwdriver bits. I already had a set of these.

I found the procedure for swapping over the TCO straightforward, although getting the old one out was a bit fiddly.

I got the part from Shower Doctor (http://www.showerdoc.com) who were helpful about what I needed, and very quick to send the part out.

Thanks Kingsgate,

Will give that a go. Got to get the continuity test done first but the symptoms do look similar to the problems you had with your shower.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

Hi Kingsgate,

I've received my new TCO today so I have started the process of replacing it on my Mira Sport. However, I am struggling to remove a star screw that holds back the TCO. I've managed to unscrew the two star screws either side but can't get access to remove the third screw. I've tried to remove the water heater on which the TCO sits on to get access but still can't remove it.

It looks all straightforward but I can't unscrew this awkward screw.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how it may be possible?

Hi kingsgate,

Here is a picture of the TCO. As mentioned I am really struggling to remove this screw. I reckon once I have removed this the TCO should come out.

Any ideas how I can remove this?

Thanks

View media item 41463 [/img]

Providing you can get in the space. I've never used that type on this sort of job.

But this is what i was talking about.

FLEXI BIT HOLDER

FLEXI BIT HOLDER

Thanks seco,

Yes I've come across a few today some with the T10 torx bit as well. I'm going to order one over the web as there aren't any retailers near me that sell this i.e. Wilko's or B and Q.

Need to get this shower working again :D

Hi All,

In a bit of a pickle here. I have finally managed to remove the old thermal switch. However, I forgot to record precisely which wires were hooked onto which terminal.

I have a vague idea and goes as follows.

Three terminals on the TCO had a cables attached via screws.

back terminal [two green, earth]
left terminal [one yellow?]
right terminal [three yellow]

I also had to remove the screw that held back three blue wires on the element to enable better access to the TCO for removal.

I am desperately close but not quite there any help will be greatly appreciated.

I contacted Mira tech support and they only gave an installation guide that does not show the wiring to the TCO. Is there such a thing?

Thanks all

P.S. Just to add this is a Mira Sport 10.8 kw shower from 2004

Three terminals on the TCO had a cables attached via screws.

back terminal [two green, earth]
left terminal [one yellow?]
right terminal [three yellow]

You can't have all yellows they must be plastic sleeves, what are the colours of the wires ?
Should be something like 2 thick browns, 1 thick red, 1 thin brown.
Green/yellow earths go to the back earth screw on the can.

I also had to remove the screw that held back three blue wires on the element to enable better access to the TCO for removal.
The 3 blue (neutral) wires connect to the centre bar joining the 2 elements.

Hi Seco,

Sorry should have been specific in terms of the wire colours than their sleeves.

We have 2 brown wires one thick and one thin Also two thin grey wires. All of these have yellow sleeves.

These are the ones that have come off the left and right side of the TCO but I can't remember which sides each went.

As for the others the green cables go at the back of the TCO and the blue cables go onto the element that sits on top of the water heater. So I am reasonably happy with the fact that where these go. It's just the other four cables.

Here is a picture of the cables with the new TCO in the background.

View media item 41521
Thanks for getting back again seco. You have really helped.

The thick brown does that come from the connector block at the top of shower ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back