misleading ohms law speaker current draw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i have been searching for answers on alarm 16ohm speaker current draw with no luck so id thought i would ask you experts. i have an elmdene 16ohm 20 watt speaker on my 9600 alarm and im at a loss at how current it draws. the ohms law is very misleading it says the speaker draws 750ma! which is alot for a burglar alarm, how much current does a typical 16 ohm alarm speaker draw from a panel. i cannot measure it i do not have a meter to check, can you guys shed any light or give rough answer searching on google for this answer is like banging your head against a brick wall. so from your guys expierience how many milliamps do internal speakers draw from a panel. any feedback would be great thanks

Sponsored Links
The impedance of a speaker is not the resistance of the coil measured with DC.

Your 16 ohm impedance speaker may be only a few ohms at DC

The 12 volts is not applied directly to the speaker ( or least it isn't in a properly designed item ) as this would damage the speaker.

The current in the speaker is determined by the voltage the amplifier ( or noise maker ) applies to the speaker and the impedance at the frequency of the applied voltage. The voltage may be only a couple of volts to produce a loud enough sound.

One watt of audio power is more than enough to make a noticable noise in a panel sounder.

Assume the sound is at the frequency at which the speaker's impedance is 16 Ω then using I ² = W /R ~~ I ² = 1 /16 amps

I = 250 mA

Hello stranger, where have you been? Not seen you here for a while.

Sponsored Links
sorry forgot to mention the 9600 siren terminals (speaker) is 13.7v if that helps in anyway and my speaker is a elmdene 16 ohm 20w speaker thanks. also not relevant but curious will 1125ma be fine on 9600 alarm on alarm mode? thanks

so is my elmdene 20watt 16ohm speaker drawing 250ma on the 9600 or were you just giving me an example :?: again the panel voltage is 13.7v if that helps cheers

Your 'corner' problem solved?
Improved signage has reduced the number of oversized vehicles on the lane. Also a few drivers have been cornered and ""advised"" about what a width restriction really means.
So getting getting there slowly

you can only connect your speaker to the internal speaker output.

you cannot connect it to a DC siren output. For that you need a ... siren.

the 9600 internal speaker output is marked siren. so what does this speaker draw i have already gave you the information thanks

The impedance of a speaker is not the resistance of the coil measured with DC.

Your 16 ohm impedance speaker may be only a few ohms at DC

The 12 volts is not applied directly to the speaker ( or least it isn't in a properly designed item ) as this would damage the speaker.

The current in the speaker is determined by the voltage the amplifier ( or noise maker ) applies to the speaker and the impedance at the frequency of the applied voltage. The voltage may be only a couple of volts to produce a loud enough sound.

One watt of audio power is more than enough to make a noticable noise in a panel sounder.

Assume the sound is at the frequency at which the speaker's impedance is 16 Ω then using I ² = W /R ~~ I ² = 1 /16 amps

I = 250 mA

Bernard :) :) :) a fountain of knowledge.. :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back