9600 alarm current capacity

okay, so what you are saying is that is each circuit has its own fuse in the panel in my case ressetable fuses, the bottom aux terminals for the detectors can handle 1250ma/800ma, and the bell and siren teminals are rated to 1 amp.

i would only be overloading the panel slightly if i connected the bellbox holdoff and speaker wires to the bottom aux terminals if the temperature surrounding the panel was 40c which is roasting, the panel is in the cupboard under the stairs which is pretty cold, put it this way a lot cooler than 40c lol.

ps everything is wired correctly and the only thing connected to the aux circuit is the power the 4 detectors which draw 54ma which is nothing. the bellbox and speaker are connected correctly to there correct terminals [eg speaker connected to siren terminal]

the panel has been here for 20 years or so and has rarely ever caused false alarms and i have changed the battery every 5 years, the panel must be okay if its lasted this long.

Sponsored Links
Phew, 40C in your house is it?

Wouldn't want your heating bills.

lol no i nowhere near 40 i would dead by now, the average temperature in our house is usually no more than 22c, but you still haven't answered my question about the aux circuit

Sponsored Links
You can play with the numbers as long as you like.

The only way to know the true answer is to use a Multi Meter, if you can't/wont do that you will have to take the word of the 3 experienced alarm engineers that are giving advise.

I'll end it there.

okay fine, all i wanted to know was that the 1250ma/800ma only meant the total load on the aux circuit and everything else had its own current rating

i am not doubting any of your advice i just wanted to clarify that those numbers meant the aux terminals only and every other output had its own rating, if you could answer this last question i would be grateful then ill leave at that.

lol okay, thanks for your help mate,if saying the panel is fine it your probably correct, i tested the alarm by triggering a detector and the full alarm sounds both inside and outside as well as the strobe, if worked like that for 20 years im sure its not going to cause problems now as long as i change the battery when it needs it.

anyway thanks again and sorry for the trouble

It's the total load. There aren't polyfuses for each circuit.

Don't believe the current ratings in the documentation for the ancilliaries - they will be the worst cases with all LEDs on, etc.. Do what Europlex and Sparkymarka say and connect your meter in series with a battery lead and disconnect the mains. The alarm will run off the battery and you can measure the current. If you defeat the tamper switch, you can operate it normally and check whatever you want.

If it's too high in alarm, try adding a 15R, 7W resistor in series with the speaker and/or run your bell as an SCB. Or, you could replace the speaker with a piezo device like a Pyronix TwinAlert

hi thanks for replying, does 15r 7w resistor affect the sound output of the speaker in anyway way, also the texecom oddyssey has a low current setting but its says that will reduce the sound output.

also i have just realised that that the panel output will only drop to 800ma if the temperature surrounding it was 40c or above which it isn't my total current is 812ma, the panel is in a cupboard and its pretty cold so that must mean that the can provide the full 1250 ma? surely its capacity must be more than my total current if it works.

I put in several 9600s in some years ago. All of which (bar one) I still account for on a regular basis.

Several have two RKPs, two SABs and a reasonable number of detectors.

I've never felt the need to be unduly concerned with the load caperbillity, and not had any problems with supply / load issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back