Modifications and insurance

I imagine you are the authority on what is and isn't reasonable?
I have no idea on how that is determined, if it ever came to a legal position after an accident for example.

But its a reason why I stick to well known brands of respected quality and will not fit parts supplied by a customer.

If any part I fit, or my workmanship is called into question I have a solid paper trail and insurance

Sponsored Links
I have no idea on how that is determined, if it ever came to a legal position after an accident for example.

But its a reason why I stick to well known brands of respected quality and will not fit parts supplied by a customer.

If any part I fit, or my workmanship is called into question I have a solid paper trail and insurance
The T&C specifically calls for manufacturer approval. But, you are unable to prove such approval. All you are doing is a russian roulette approach with your customers.

The T&C specifically calls for manufacturer approval. But, you are unable to prove such approval. All you are doing is a russian roulette approach with your customers.
My liability insurers are fully aware of the fact I use mostly aftermarket parts.

On a personal level, no insurance company is at all concerned about the use of such parts.

They are, however, interested and demand to be informed about the use of performance and value enhancing modifications

Give up. You have no idea what you are on about

My liability insurers are fully aware of the fact I use mostly aftermarket parts.
Whether they are aware makes no difference. What they agreed and signed for is what matters in the end. If you read the T&C, I bet you are not covered for what you are doing.

Sponsored Links
Whether they are aware makes no difference. What they agreed and signed for is what matters in the end. If you read the T&C, I bet you are not covered for what you are doing.
You're just trolling now.

I  know i'm covered.

Way out of your depth

Is there any clause permitting to change a wheel when you have a puncture?
What do you do in such eventuality?
Do you call the insurance and let them know that you're fitting the emergency skinny wheel?
Nutter!
@DiyNutJob you didn't answer this question.
And all the others...

Stop feeding the troll! You could tell him the sun is coming up in the morning and he'd argue against it. Just ignore him or at best, just give one reply and he might go off and play elsewhere. Unless he can show a scan of his insurance policy where it says what he claims, just tell him to do one. Have you not worked out who he is yet?

I have not read my T&C yet. It's completely possible I have the pattern parts allowed clause. I suggest you read you own to get a peace of mind. But, all your customers will surely claim against you if you have inadvertently invalidated all their insurances through the use of pattern parts?

As the age-old saying goes, "Ignorance of the law is no defence". Perhaps if you did read your policy (probably best done before making a fool of yourself on the internet, but it really looks like that ship has well and truly sailed now), you'd find that it in no way prohibits the use of pattern parts.

I've no idea why you keep mentioning my "customers". I don't have any and I don't fix peoples' cars for a living. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter. You could fit the most rubbish Chinese part available and have it fail and kill someone. You wouldn't be liable. The insurers (and Trading Standards) would go after the retailer of the part. I stick with respected brands because (a) I don't want to have to do the job again in 6 months and (b) I don't ant to die. But liability in the event of a component failure is not something I worry about.

Stop being such a hypocrite. How about reading your own, before telling other people to read theirs?

Yes, I am a long standing and very experienced driver and car licence owner. I don't own the car, the DVLA does.
Freeman of the land boll@x...
Here we go....
I don't answer when the answer is self-evident. It's self-evident that changing to approved tires is covered, but changing to unapproved tires is not.
So if I get a flat tyre I should call my insurance to let them know I'm fitting the temporary skinny wheel...
Nutter!

Sponsored Links
Back