Modifications and insurance

A new idea just popped into my head. Rather than buying a random amount of new anti-freeze because I don't know how much I need, I will re-reuse what I have got. I will capture the existing coolant via the mod already shown. I will clean up the tube first and keep the capture in 2L cola bottles. This should allow me to reuse most of the coolant that will come out from the tank change. I have 1.5L dealer anti-freeze coming from ebay, giving me 3L of coolant to cover any shortfall.

For the reuse, I will use paper coffee filter on the captured coolant to eliminate larger contaminants. I am not a coffee drinker and have never seen or touched a paper coffee filter in person to know the viability of it. I will need to filter an estimated 5 litres of coolant. Any coffee drinkers cares to chip in on the filter viability? I am a cola drinker myself, hence I have lots of cola bottles. Everything will be cleaned/wiped using good old tap water and air dried.

Can I have none of the smart ar*s comments from mechs please? You can sit out on this one.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Still not interested
It's no loss. Mechs here struggle to say anything or to commit to any position. I would be wasting my time hoping for something more.

With my grocery car out of action, I will have to walk to asda to get those filters. I hope they still do de-ionised water. I think I can manage lugging a 2 litre carton.

When you refill the cooling system, don't forget to put a little clean engine oil in with the water to lubricate the water pump seals and bearings.

I asked about coffee, and he tells me about engine oil. I suppose when I ask about engine oil, he will tell me about coffee?

I have OE repair instructions. Therefore, I don't go by tricks used by back street mechs. Although that doesn't mean I don't listen to what they have to say. I just don't act on information my gut doesn't approve. My engine has pure lifetime coolant in it, and it works perfectly. I will not change that formula. Though, I have yet to check the OE instructions to know if oil is involved. My gut says no. I vaguely remember new o-ring lubrication is done with non-dilute antifreeze.

I asked about coffee, and he tells me about engine oil. I suppose when I ask about engine oil, he will tell me about coffee?

I have OE repair instructions. Therefore, I don't go by tricks used by back street mechs. Although that doesn't mean I don't listen to what they have to say. I just don't act on information my gut doesn't approve. My engine has pure lifetime coolant in it, and it works perfectly. I will not change that formula. Though, I have yet to check the OE instructions to know if oil is involved. My gut says no. I vaguely remember new o-ring lubrication is done with non-dilute antifreeze.

Yeah, but you've also got OE instructions telling to how often to change your oil, and as you know better than the manufacturer, I'm sure you won't be paying too much attention to his instructions for any other repairs... :rolleyes:

You'll also find that the manufacturer will have specified a maximum life for the coolant, and if it's older than that, you'll be wasting your time trying to collect it and re-use it. He will have specified this for a whole load of reasons - some of which won't even have entered your head, but don't let that bother you. Just batter-on in your ignorance...

It's all just a plot, hatched by the car industry and the motor trade, to make you buy antifreeze. I've heard the people who are really in the know, put petrol in their radiators...;)

I've heard the people who are really in the know, put petrol in their radiators...;)
My wallet is totally in the know. It says pay for petrol not acceptable. Free petrol, OK.

I use OE instructions as a guidance only. If wrong, I disregard. It comes down to feel. You either have it or you don't. You don't!

My wallet is totally in the know.

I am certainly willing to accept that it's more clued-up than you are...

It says pay for petrol not acceptable. Free petrol, OK.

Good luck finding that. What you need, is a nice EV and then you can make your own electricity...

I use OE instructions as a guidance only. If wrong, I disregard. It comes down to feel. You either have it or you don't. You don't!

Exactly. I'm getting a strange feeling of Deja-vu here, with this thread, which is why I'm not even bothering to offer anything constructive. As I said earlier, you're bound to know better than anyone on here or indeed, the people who designed and built your car, so, as they say n Scotland, "Hell mend you"!

He is the type of customer that when he comes in to ask advice, or book a car for repairs I'm always too busy.

Doesn't matter how much he would pay, still too busy

Sponsored Links
Back