Modifications and insurance

Sponsored Links
He is the type of customer that when he comes in to ask advice, or book a car for repairs I'm always too busy.

Doesn't matter how much he would pay, still too busy
Given the skills you have demonstrated to-date, at best I can give you a half price job. You struggle even to diagnose a basic expansion tank issue.

Coolant capture was a success using new mod. 7mm Dia car side, 6mm Dia battery vent elbow side.
coolant-capture-1.png

Extra virgin lifetime coolant directly from the engine, 2 to 3L. To be reused.
coolant-capture-2.png

Contaminated coolant, less than 1L, from splashing after wrestling with the expansion tank. To be discarded.
coolant-capture-3.png

Sponsored Links
The china expansion tank was excellent and completely compatible. It's made with thick plastic (nylon 66 + 30% glass fibre) like OE. The only thing different on it was the float stick. The MIN and MAX markers were closer togethers compared to OE. As a bonus, it seemed to have no problems with the 20 year old flattened hose o-rings.

Filtering using 2 coffee filters was extremely slow, suggesting the filters were effective.
coolant-fill.png

For apprentice mechs like carmanmemoranda who struggled to diagnose the problem, the answer is: the 20 year old glue failed between the bottle and its cap.
leak.png

It was a huge struggle to get the bottle off the fragile plastic frame it was attached to. Prying this spot eventually splashed coolant all over the place.
pry-1.png

I didn't know there was a second prying spot until later analysis. It would have helped, especially if both pry spots were used at the same time.
pry-2.png

Last edited:
Can anyone else see what’s obviously wrong in one of those photo's and will cause serious problems later?

Can anyone else see what’s obviously wrong in one of those photo's and will cause serious problems later?
Its the nut that holds the steering wheel that's the real problem.

Just to add.

Haven't even bothered looking at the pictures, I'm not interested enough. But no surprises I'm sure

Sponsored Links
Back