mould on wall

tej

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Been in my house for 6 months now. Last night discovered some mould in the corner off my built in ward robe. The corner is on the corner of the house. This was not here when i moved in.

Is this condensation?? there were black spots on the wall but were scattered close to one another. There is no air that gets into there as there are clothes in there.

How would i know if it was damp?

whats the resolution???

ive cleared the clothes out for now and cleaned the wall as much as i could. The area is not too big that has black mould. I put electric heater in there last night to let it dry

any suggestions would be great

cheers

tj

Sponsored Links
yes it will be most likely be condensation if it is inside a built in wardrobe. the wall will be colder than most of the room because the cupboard prevents heat reaching it; but does not prevent moist air getting in.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

however, look at the outside of that wall to see if there is e.g. a leaky gutter or downpipe on the other side of the wall.

tightly tape a piece of clear plastic to the wall, and see if moisture forms on the wall side or the room side.

hey

thanks for the reply.

no there is not gutter as the house are semi detached our house sits a bit forward to the other and there is a valley between the houses but its no where near that.

so is it still worth doing the plastic sheet test?

cheers

yes, just to be sure.

and have a look in the loft for any water getting in through the roof or valley.

but mildew on the back wall inside a bedroom wardrobe is usually condensation.

Sponsored Links
Tej, do you have double-glazing? That's a great way to increase condensation. As the link John gave you will confirm, dg stops moisture forming on windows so moisture-laden air condenses elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back