move and existing plug socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i'm want to move a socket from one part of my room to about 2 metres away from the existing socket. i don't want to add a socket but just close/disuse the existing socket and connect it in a different place. do i just get the wire and join it to the wires that go in to the existing socket. twist them together wrap tape around them and run the cable to the new position? thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
You MUST NOT join wires simply by twisting.

Assuming the socket is on the ring then unless you have a very good reason for getting rid of the existing socket it will probablly be better to leave it in place and run a spur to the new socket.

If the socket is on a spur then you will have to blank off the existing socket with a blanking plate and use terminal block inside the backbox to join the old and new cables. The blanking plate must remain visible as a warning of the cables in the wall going to it.

thank you. the terminal block is the square white plastic connection that the wires connect in to each side? also i don't know if i can add another socket to that ring or is there too many already?

Sponsored Links
You can have as many sockets as you like. As long as they are all wired on the ring, not as spurs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back