Moving gas meter

corgiman said:
..sorry chris and agile that is a huge double standard that i would never have expected from either of you
I can't see a problem. If you're competent to do that job, how can it be illegal? Whether the owner of the gas meter is agreeable is another matter, but that's not a criminal matter. And talking of double standards, paying a Transco guy to do a foreigner (for which he won't have Corgi registration) is surely even worse.

Sponsored Links
AntJMcD said:
i am qualified to do so but do not usually get involved with a lot of meter work!

as i have not moved a meter before
and what fittings will i need to order to connect up with?
Agile said:
If you can move it and it still looks like an original installation then no one is ever likely to notice.
Good call Agile - this person oozes competence.

corgiman said:
wow tony you are never suggesting some do something that they should not just because no one will ever find out
Don't be too surprised cm - Agile only changes the water connection side of a ball valve when he thinks the client will inspect his work afterwards. :rolleyes:

I take the client's expectations into account and do what the client expects!

There is nothing criminal about a registered person moving the meter when he has Met I.

I do see that there is something criminal when a TRANSCO man takes some cash to do an unauthorised job.

Tony

Agile said:
I take the client's expectations into account and do what the client expects!
How amusing - I wonder if that includes installing plastic pipe and pushfit fittings when the client expects it.

There is nothing criminal about a registered person moving the meter when he has Met I.
How fortunate that hypocrisy isn't a criminal offence either.

Sponsored Links
Softus...maybe it`s time to give `Agile` a break, contrary to your belief, we`re not friends...You seem to be Trolling where Agile is concerned..

Friends? Perhaps not; but there's more to you and Agile than meets the eye.

Trolling? Moving a gas meter has safety implications, as I expect you already know. My posts relate to that.

No there isn`t...I thought that we agreed not to make it personal...I have a great respect for `Agile` in his field because he knows a helluva lot more than me, as do most of the`residents` here..I think that I started out as a bit of a d*ck head in my earlier postings but I am trying to accept this forum as a community & would like to be part of it..this will take time ..I know nothing compared to many on here...I am only too willing to listen & learn....( Golden Globe for brown noser of the millenium)..By the way..you`re not really qualified to voice an opinion on this subject ...but then again.. you weren`t voicing an opinion.you were just trolling through Agile`s statements...

Brown Nose :LOL: That reminds me of my apprentice days @ college..one of the craics was a group of us would chant" brown nose "in a round like Westminster chimes on a clock.........end ing with Bong ....and pointing at the unfortunate :LOL: I must admit the craic is quite good here but there`s no substitute for being there ;)

Why in my minds eye do I keep seeing you as about 15 yrs old...must be the moniker..can`t you change it to `Bert` or `Alf` or something...( cue paedophile references etc).. :rolleyes:

An individual is not allowed to adapt, change or extend the supply side pipework to a meter owned by the gas transporter without their permission. CORGI registration and 'meters' module does not imply permission to do this. Therefore I imagine Agile must have received consent.

In my case, at a previous house I owned, I wanted to move the meter 15m to another position. Transco wanted a fortune and a huge leadtime. Whilst my company could have done the work, it would have been illegal without Transco permission - which would not have been granted. And just as importantly, some of the plastics/metal components Transco use for distribution pipework aren't easily obtainable, so I chose to use their own qualified people using their own proper materials and (questionable) good working practices.

This resulted in a quick job expertly executed using all the right componentry, so my builders could get on. Under whose CORGI card the work was done I neither know nor care; these chaps do the same job day in day out, just bashing meters in. They hold the relevant qualifications for Transco work, that is good enough for my own house gas main.

I do not have any problems with my own chaps doing their own boiler installs on weekends; indeed, we commission and gas work notify their occasional PJs on the company registration if they want.

simond said:
An individual is not allowed to adapt, change or extend the supply side pipework to a meter owned by the gas transporter without their permission. CORGI registration and 'meters' module does not imply permission to do this. Therefore I imagine Agile must have received consent.

From the Horses mouth...it would seem .....

Thank you Bamber

Not the first time I have been likened to a horse, either. :D

simond said:
An individual is not allowed to adapt, change or extend the supply side pipework to a meter owned by the gas transporter without their permission.
But that's not the same as it being illegal. Transco may have grounds for some sort of civil claim against you if you moved their meter without their permission, but surely no criminal offence would have been committed.

On the other hand, it is definitely illegal for Transco operatives, who are not Corgi Reg. in their own right, to carry out gas work on a self-employed basis. Anyone asking them to do so, knowing full well that this was illegal, might arguably also be guilty of a criminal offence.

chrishutt said:
corgiman said:
..sorry chris and agile that is a huge double standard that i would never have expected from either of you
I can't see a problem. If you're competent to do that job, how can it be illegal? Whether the owner of the gas meter is agreeable is another matter, but that's not a criminal matter. And talking of double standards, paying a Transco guy to do a foreigner (for which he won't have Corgi registration) is surely even worse.

but it raises that old chestnut of registration as part of competentcy dont it, if your getting paid and you are not registered to change/move meters then it is a criminal offence (GSIU regs 1999)

nd i did not say to get a transco geezer to do it as a homer did i?

chrishutt said:
simond said:
An individual is not allowed to adapt, change or extend the supply side pipework to a meter owned by the gas transporter without their permission.
But that's not the same as it being illegal. Transco may have grounds for some sort of civil claim against you if you moved their meter without their permission, but surely no criminal offence would have been committed.

On the other hand, it is definitely illegal for Transco operatives, who are not Corgi Reg. in their own right, to carry out gas work on a self-employed basis. Anyone asking them to do so, knowing full well that this was illegal, might arguably also be guilty of a criminal offence.

how is a transco bloke doing it as a self employed person different from a RGI not registered for such work to do the same?

Not being argumentative I genuinally want to know as it would be great for our clients if we could do this work for them as it save them a pretty penny.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back