MSF100 Switch fuses and amended regs

They were already sure John. Several (including my ex-employer) produced guidance stating that conformity to 61439-3 was sufficient, but they had to change their approach.
Interesting. How can anyone be "sure" that something is compliant with a regulation which does not give adequate clarity/detail about what it requires?

One can but presume that the authors of BS7671 intended to be requiring something beyond what is required by 61439-3, since, if I recall correctly, the reg calls for compliance with 61439-3 and to be made of a 'non-combustible' material?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would point out that the definition quoted is from the easily influenced dictionary, and -

not all dictionaries include the word 'easily'.

Also, the definition of 'combustibility' is given as:

upload_2017-2-3_14-14-49.png

Surely, if nothing is non-combustible, then the inclusion of 'easily' does not really alter anything.

Sponsored Links
Surely, if nothing is non-combustible, then the inclusion of 'easily' does not really alter anything.
If I understand correctly, on the basis of the definition of "combustible" that he has now found and quoted, he no longer believes that "nothing is non-combustible", since he now thinks that "non-combustible" means "not easily burnt" (whatever one understands by "easily").

Kind Regards, John

Yes, but if combustibility also means how easily something is set on fire through combustion, then we now have to decide how easily it easily catches fire - so back to square one.

Yes, but if combustibility also means how easily something is set on fire through combustion, then we now have to decide how easily it easily catches fire - so back to square one.

I don't think we are, because unless "easily" is defined, we fall back on the dictionary definition. And I don't believe that many dictionaries don't define easy or easily.

Being realistic - how many average people would think that a British Standard for the construction of consumer units would allow them to be made out of something which is able to catch fire and burn easily? How many would think, if you described the test, that a material which went out of its own accord was something which caught fire and burned easily?

I don't think we are, because unless "easily" is defined, we fall back on the dictionary definition.
That's certainly an argument you could put forward, but there's no guarantee that others, or other authorities, would necessarily agree. As EFLI has said, I think we're simply back to an inadequately defined requirement.
Being realistic - how many average people would think that a British Standard for the construction of consumer units would allow them to be made out of something which is able to catch fire and burn easily? How many would think, if you described the test, that a material which went out of its own accord was something which caught fire and burned easily?
Agreed, but only if one assumes a meaning for "easily".

I would also suggest that most average people reading the reg would believe that it was clearly indicating a requirement that the material must not be one that would catch fire or burn "easily" - but, again, in the absence of any definitions or quantification, one cannot know which materials would, or would not, satisfy the intended requirement.

Kind Regards, John

how can combustible relate to 'easily'?
Because that's what it's been decided it means?

It's not uncommon for other factors to be in the definition of an adjective but not necessarily in the verb.

Just because I could eat something, that does not make it edible.

That's certainly an argument you could put forward, but there's no guarantee that others, or other authorities, would necessarily agree. As EFLI has said, I think we're simply back to an inadequately defined requirement.
But one which can much more readily be viewed as being satisfied by compliance with BS EN 61439-3.

I would also suggest that most average people reading the reg would believe that it was clearly indicating a requirement that the material must not be one that would catch fire or burn "easily" - but, again, in the absence of any definitions or quantification, one cannot know which materials would, or would not, satisfy the intended requirement.
But that's the point. As there is no specific definition, the only thing which we can do is to use the "everyday" definitions of the words used. So we have a combination of one standard requiring that the material used not catch fire or burn easily, and we have another which says that if an item complies with it it will therefore be made using a material which does not catch fire or burn easily.

How can anyone be "sure" that something is compliant with a regulation which does not give adequate clarity/detail about what it requires?
Because there is a product standard that defines precisely what is required, which in the opinion of those who were 'sure', was sufficient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back