New 17th edition amendment 3 consumer unit - metal or plastic?

Sponsored Links
What I'd really prefer, and were I able to, insist upon, would be "fire or abnormal heat" to express the former.
I agree. That cannot really be regarded as ambiguous.
Such ambiguity would obviously not be acceptable in mathematics or computer programming.
It is, or BWOTB, just as unacceptable in legislation, regulations and standards.
Again agreed.

Kind Regards, John

No, I think the problem is that a glow-wire test is not a test for resistance to fire.
Ah! So why is it prescribed in a section of the Standard referring to "abnormal heat and fire", if it is not 'fit for purpose' in the latter case?

Kind Regards, John

Because it is referred to under the title "Verification of resistance of insulating materials to abnormal heat and fire due to internal electric effects"

Sponsored Links
Because it is referred to under the title "Verification of resistance of insulating materials to abnormal heat and fire due to internal electric effects"
But that's what LFB (and hence, by extrapolation, JPEL/64) are concerned about, isn't it? - or does "internal electrical effects" not include the overheating (or 'bursting into flames") of electrical components or conductors within a CU enclosure?

Kind Regards, John

Ah yes, that's true. I was thinking of the LVD requirements dealing with propagation of fire.

Ah yes, that's true. I was thinking of the LVD requirements dealing with propagation of fire.
Fair enough. So does that mean you now feel that the glow wire test is appropriate in the context we (or the LFB) are talking about - and, if so, do you think that (as IU suggested) the 'issue' is that 'they' (LFB, who have maybe convinced JPEL/64) do not regard a 650° C test as adequate?

Kind Regards, John

I see - so do you have a view on what test would be appropriate, and what relevant Standard would describe the test and specify the requirements?
Yes, but I'm not going to discuss it here.
Fair enough. I can understand your not wanting to discuss your views here, but could you tell us whether there is any Standard which is explicitly relevant in relation to the fire-resistant properties of a CU enclosure (given that you have indicated your belief that 60439 isn't)?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the comments, this thread has got a bit technical for me now! But it seems the consensus is I do need a new consumer unit as want an electrical shower fitted, and if want to keep up with regulations coming into place from 1 January 2016 should consider getting a metal CU?

Another quick questions...one quote I received said: To supply a satisfactory NICEIC certificate with Part P council notification. £90.00. That seems a lot to me and research online seems to say this should be included. When I questioned what the charge for the certificate was for he added 'The advantage of the certificate if that if you want to rent the property in the next 5 years you have it in place, if you are going to live there then there is not a great advantage to having the certificate to be honest.' Still, should I be paying for this if we do plan to rent in the future and if so, £90 seems a lot or is that standard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back