My Complete DIY Rewire

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory the same risk applies for every socket in the circuit as applies to every junction box in the circuit. ~~~~~~ I've asked a question about voltage drop calculations for junction boxes. Is there something I need to factor in here?

A voltage drop in a junction box means heat is being created in the junction box. Voltage drop times current flowing gives the wattage of heat to be dissipated from the junction box.

No matter how much care is taken when screwing wires into junction boxes over time the copper deforms and the pressure from the screw onto the copper reduces. The resistance and volt drop increases. An out of sight ( but accessible ) junction box could get quite warm when this happens. You won't be aware unless you routinely inspect the junction boxes until the box fails completely. This will either mean loss of power to sockets ( but not on a ring final ) or a smell of burning. If the JB is in the loft you may not even smell it.

If a connection fails in a socket then the over heating and loss ( possible intermittent ) of power is immediately noticeable.

I am not a professional electrician, I am a DIYer but that is no reason that I would consider doing electrical work that did not meet professional standards as well as the standards of safety.

Sponsored Links
You're all wasting your time - he isn't listening to anything which does not agree with what he's already decided to do.

Won't be long before this, I imagine:

screenshot_343.jpg

You're all wasting your time - he isn't listening to anything which does not agree with what he's already decided to do.

Won't be long before this, I imagine:

screenshot_343.jpg

I'm asking for advice, I'm not asking to be told not to do it myself. I don't have a choice in the matter.

I'll continue posting pictures and progress, and asking questions. I'd like to be able to present a good finished product despite all the doubters.

Sponsored Links
PreferNotToDieOrBurn, why do you want to use so many junction boxes on a ring circuit?

Junction boxes do have their uses, and though I tend avoid using them on rewires and new work, I can understand very occasionally they can be handy. For example, there may be a case on rewiring an old property where you have a narrow conduit for the switch, and you want only one cable at the light - then I may consider using a JB, somewhere accessible.

BUT why on earth do you need so many JBs for what you're doing???

Explain in more detail, and we may be able to help you.

Assuming you want some help, of course.

The help he wants is not the help he needs.

And the help he needs is not the help he wants.

Assuming you want some help, of course.

The help he wants is not the help he needs.

And the help he needs is not the help he wants.

As an observer, it pains me to say that he doesn't want any help.
This thread is now on its sixth page and the OP is repeating his refrain, thus (paraphrase);
I'm doing the best I can. I inherited this situation. Honestly, I want to learn. Teach me to learn from my mistakes

But he has ignored all of the pointed questions, especially around LABC notification.
As has been mentioned previously, he's looking for confirmation for his already-formed thoughts and is ignoring advice, warnings and questions that contrast with that.

An oft-debated topic on here is whether it is best to offer advice to the ill-informed and ill-prepared, rather than just advise them to "stop, desist and hire an electrician". There is not a one-size-fits-all answer to that debate but, for this guy, I would suggest that you stop trying to advise him.
He mentioned that he had an electrician mate/contact to hand, so we should point him toward that person. The OP is clearly not going to listen to any advice that you offer, which counters whatever opinion he has already reached.

And he seems to think that whatever "reason" there is which leaves him "no choice" exempts him from the law of the land, the laws of physics and the requirements of the Wiring Regulations.

It's quite common in scenarios like this for the supplicant to have tried other fora, and come here having been sent away from the other place(s) with a flea in their ear, or vice-versa to go somewhere else because they don't like the advice here - has anyone who frequents other places seen him there?

I had a weekend off last weekend. Somebody requested a picture of how I'm wiring the sockets. Here we go:

Before someone says the back box isn't grounded, it is. The reason I haven't run an additional ground wire to the backbox is that these sockets (MK Logic Plus) don't seem to hold 3 wires securely. They do, eventually, but they are a massive faff and it's very hit and miss. The backbox is, however, grounded via the faceplate screws.

I've also been securing wires in chases, I went with hot glue which seems to be working very well. They'll be further secured with plaster once we patch up.

I ran a 1.5mm cable through a very very fiddly route including running through a beam. It took a while but the result is far better than the original cable route.

A few more sockets are in, and 1/3rd of the house is a few hours away from being done.

I'll be testing continuity of the existing runs soon, and then moving on to the next section of the house.

Nothing is connected, it's all still just decorative wiring.

I'm here for advice and support, not judgement. So please, if you don't have something constructive to add, please just refrain from posting. If the advice is "don't do it yourself", this advice has already been offered, thank you.

Thank you to those who are providing constructive criticism! It is very valuable to me.

normally much more grey insulation would be removed.

and more spare slack on the wires.

It's a bit of a give away that an electrician hasn't done it!

But it looks tidy and safe. (well maybe the wires are too tight)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back