My fix for wobbly kitchen tap on sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This seems to be a common problem - why don't sink manufacturers reinforce that section. Anyway the first time I fitted the tap was about 15 years ago, I protected the tap tail area with cardboard and used spray foam to strengthen the area which worked ok. I have just refitted the sink to a new worktop and this time used 3mm plastic to first bring the level up to the rest of the underside higest pressed steel point and then used 9mm scrap UPVC soffit board on top of that all fixed in place with tube adheasive. I then used an angle bracket screwed to it underneath and to the inside worktop. Its now rock solid.
The sink had an indent as viewed from underneath that first had to be levelled - the eye shaped bit.
IMG_20240110_185912259.jpg
Then once that was to the level of the rest of the sink I added the 9mm plastic and tube adheasived it on. After the sink was in place I attached the brackets but needed to first pack them out to get past the sink fixing flange tap thing.
IMG_20240111_120046520.jpg
The block that you can see on the top right is a scrap bit of old worktop to bring that level up to near the bottom of the underside of the sink drainer section, last time i did it I used spray foam for the last 10mm between the two, I may do the same again or shove in a piece of camping foam if its the right depth.
Interested to hear what DIY soloutions others have come upo with. I know ther are products to but to do it but this is a DIY forum --- right !t

Sponsored Links
Yup, several manufacturers supply them, it's in response to the cheaper made S/S sinks these days that are made out of really thin sheet. Well done making your own though.

1705049207560.png
1705049225051.png
1705049254568.png

Attachments

• 1705049216883.png
    1705049216883.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 24
Yup, several manufacturers supply them, it's in response to the cheaper made S/S sinks these days that are made out of really thin sheet. Well done making your own though.

View attachment 328832View attachment 328834View attachment 328835
Yes I looked at those and the plastic one i thought was for copper pipes and I have flexible and the metal bracket I thought would not ft as in that section i also have a top part of the cabinet structure making it too deep, I could of cut it back but it was also the cost when I could make it myself. The one with all of the separate parts I couldn't see how it would help much as it needs to be attached to the unit.
Those are my narrow bore flex's by the way

I wasn't suggesting that you should have used them, all I am suggesting is that there are purpose made supports and that this is due to the thin stainless steel sink flexing, each one can help support the tap in different ways, if needed then the flexi's could be changed to hard copper tails.

Again though, congrats in making your own.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't suggesting that you should have used them, all I am suggesting is that there are purpose made supports and that this is due to the thin stainless steel sink flexing, each one can help support the tap in different ways, if needed then the flexi's could be changed to hard copper tails.

Again though, congrats in making your own.
Yes I got that, your post will be useful for others who come along too

View attachment 328832View attachment 328834View attachment 328835
Can I ask the one on the right with the plastic triangle does the horseshoe fit on the circle as it looks like it is domed to help locate on the circle - which seems a good design or is it domed profile just to add strength to thin metal.
Thanks - this one
1705049254568 copy.jpg

I have used 50mm flat aluminium to form a plate , can be bent to fit against any near-by timber and screwed to it for extra support .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back