My heating has packed up HELP PLEASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like solenoid has gone again . very rarely needs the whole valve.

If your pilot had gone out or someone had pressed button in it could possibly be the green button is stuck and allowing pilot to be on but not returning fully out to allow the gas to fire up

Sponsored Links
So basically if there is voltage at that solenoid and the solenoid is working then the boiler should fire up, yes.

Am I right in thinking then if it does not then the gas valve is faulty ?

I dont think its the solenoid as I touch the wire to it I can feel and hear the solenoid bouncing in and out

I can't see how the motorised valve could be the cause of the problem.
If it was say, stuck in CH position the boiler would light, unless you also had a faulty micro switch, preventing power leaving the valve through the orange wire.
If it was in mid position or the HW position it would not affect the lighting of boiler, beause in these situations power to light boiler comes from cylinder stat.
The fact it does not light for CH only or HW only would lead me to think 'gas valve' solinoid

Sponsored Links
Try knocking the pilot off and relighting to check its not a stuck button other than that if your sure solenoid is pulling the valve open , new valve req

No expert, but I see that from a previous post the boiler could be fan assisted.

We have a Baxi and the fan on that stopped working, and as a result the boiler would not light. I was able to test that power was being applied to the fan motor but it simply wouldn't run. I had a corgi fitter change the fan and the boiler burst back into life.

If you have a fan assisted boiler, might be worth checking if the motor is receiving voltage

Excellent if in doubt wack it hope you used the correct size hammer :LOL:

OMG I have radiators warming up thank god for that and thank you all very much for your help it is greatly appreciated

Damn it went out again and now I can see clearly the pilot is very weak and I can actually see two little red glowing bits in there would that mean thermo coupling thingy ?

Push the pilot button in, does the flame increase. if so you have a sticky gas valve that is passing which requires turning off.

I will try that, the problem seems to have changed a bit now. I can relight the boiler it seems to run happily for 5 minutes or so and then it just cuts out completely and the pilot light goes off I will relight it again and try what you suggest thanks

No it all started normally flame did not particularly increase as I pressed the button. Its running fine I just have to see if it stops after 5 minutes again. Damned thing :eek:

It runs fine and then after 10 minutes just clicks off pilto and everything anybody got any bright ideas to stop me shivering :)

Flaky overheat stat possibly, but if I remember these are in the combustion chamber and is a job for a CORGI.

Thermocouple and gas valve are still not eliminated though IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back