My Phone Must Be Eavesdropping...

Sponsored Links
Have I missed anything out?
And after all that, his goal in life is to keep the readers of a small section of a DIY website informed of what is really going on. Or is it...

Sponsored Links
Androids have the worst security record. It’s an apple v android thing. Each to their own.

What utter drivel.

Both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

Never heard of Pegasus? Since 2011, Pegasus has been targeting iPhones. In early versions the owner had to clink on a hyperlink. The site would jailbreak the phone, leaving Pegasus with complete access to the phone, reading data, turning on the microphone etc.

The latest versions use zeroday exploits in iOS and infect the phone via 3rd party apps. The owner doesn't need to do anything to become infected Pegasus is generally capable of reading text messages, call snooping, location tracking, accessing the target device's microphone and camera, and harvesting information from apps. Given that Apple do not allow owners to install security monitoring software, owners have no way of knowing if their phone is infected.

I've definitely seen similar things happen with my android phone. I suppose it's possible that, out of the many things I talk about, there's a chance that it's sufficiently similar to something else I've searched for that the AI already knows that I'll need the thing I now need.

But other examples have been ridiculously weird. In one case I was talking to a farmer, who told me about his gun collection (all licenced and legal). I then searched for a car part, and was shown nothing but guns that had only vaguely similar part codes, in preference to the car parts that had the same code.

I have always had all "hey google" activation turned off so, in theory, it shouldn't be listening out for anything. It's possible that "gun", among others, is a hard-wired word that all devices constantly listen for. Some may think that's a good thing, but this is without the knowledge or consent of anyone, and you don't know what other keywords trigger it. Perhaps "pay in cash", "save some tax" and "here have my pay and display ticket" also trigger it to record, along with pretty much anything you might be interested in buying so google can wave an ad in your face and hopefully take a cut. There's definitely a motive for doing all this, this isn't tinfoil hat stuff.

There's definitely a "they", and you definitely won't know who they are. People who think the government is entirely a servant of the people and have no dodgy motives are very naive.

Hopefully someone will do the low-level data analysis to find the smoking gun one day, although it will all be hidden behind lots of encryption and other barriers.

I've definitely seen similar things happen with my android phone. I suppose it's possible that, out of the many things I talk about, there's a chance that it's sufficiently similar to something else I've searched for that the AI already knows that I'll need the thing I now need.

But other examples have been ridiculously weird. In one case I was talking to a farmer, who told me about his gun collection (all licenced and legal). I then searched for a car part, and was shown nothing but guns that had only vaguely similar part codes, in preference to the car parts that had the same code.

I have always had all "hey google" activation turned off so, in theory, it shouldn't be listening out for anything. It's possible that "gun", among others, is a hard-wired word that all devices constantly listen for. Some may think that's a good thing, but this is without the knowledge or consent of anyone, and you don't know what other keywords trigger it. Perhaps "pay in cash", "save some tax" and "here have my pay and display ticket" also trigger it to record, along with pretty much anything you might be interested in buying so google can wave an ad in your face and hopefully take a cut. There's definitely a motive for doing all this, this isn't tinfoil hat stuff.

There's definitely a "they", and you definitely won't know who they are. People who think the government is entirely a servant of the people and have no dodgy motives are very naive.

Hopefully someone will do the low-level data analysis to find the smoking gun one day, although it will all be hidden behind lots of encryption and other barriers.

I think it safe to say that people have looked at the packets being sent from your phone and to date, none (that I am aware of) has said that phones with voice recognition turned off have been eavesdropping.

The following debunks the myth that the FaceBook app listens to you

The following explains that if you talk to a friend about something, if that person is known, via social media to be a friend of yours, if they search for something, you may see the same adverts.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/oct/29/is-my-phone-listening-to-me-we-ask-the-expert

And

What utter drivel.

Both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

Never heard of Pegasus? Since 2011, Pegasus has been targeting iPhones. In early versions the owner had to clink on a hyperlink. The site would jailbreak the phone, leaving Pegasus with complete access to the phone, reading data, turning on the microphone etc.

The latest versions use zeroday exploits in iOS and infect the phone via 3rd party apps. The owner doesn't need to do anything to become infected Pegasus is generally capable of reading text messages, call snooping, location tracking, accessing the target device's microphone and camera, and harvesting information from apps. Given that Apple do not allow owners to install security monitoring software, owners have no way of knowing if their phone is infected.
It’s been long proved google are the worst for security.

Apple won’t let anyone use a back for their phones. Android will.

So I know my phone is secure and an android is compromised out of the box.

Last edited:
What a bunch of conspiracy theorists you are in here imagining that your phone/alexa/ smart telle etc etc is listening to you and targeting adverts etc at you . Next you will be saying that it is tracking you can pinpoint were you are /have been and all your phone calls and texts get stored on a central database .

Next you will be saying that it is tracking you can pinpoint were you are /have been and all your phone calls and texts get stored on a central database .
Scandalous. But then again, who cares.

Have I missed anything out?
Recently bought a bungalow in the Llyn peninsula for £670k and...

I too thought conspiracy theorists were all nutters . . . until I saw those 2 buildings collapse. My missus can vouch for this but the words I uttered at that very moment shown live on TV were "that isn't possible". Dork isn't an architect, Dork is a highly qualified & experienced physicist who fully understands that the weight of the floors above cannot possibly destroy the structure of the floors below.

Dork knows explosions, Dork played with explosives as a child when they were universally available from all good agricultural merchants pre the IRA days of the 70's. What happened in Boston wasn't an explosion per se. What happened was purely theatrical, just a little bit more Ooomph than a stage maroon.

Sponsored Links
Back