myson /torn boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a myson/thorn/ apollo 15/30 boiler. At the moment when i put it on on it runs for about 20 minutes then cuts out, ican get it to fire up again but cuts out again. I know it probably needs replacing but havent got the funds till later in the year any advice on what the problem is or any solutions please.

Sponsored Links
Can you explain how it cuts out?

What happens if its left for a further hour?

Tony

IT goes off completely I have to re ignite the pilot light it hen runs for about 20 minutes half an hour radiators begin to feel warm then it goes off again.

It sounds as if the overheat stat is faulty and operating at a too low temperature. But it could be other issues.

But that should be checked by a competent registered gas engineer who knows how to measure the voltages involved. Many dont!

Tony

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the overheat stat is faulty and operating at a too low temperature. But it could be other issues.

But that should be checked by a competent registered gas engineer who knows how to measure the voltages involved. Many dont!

Tony

Isn't the stat in the combustion chamber?

Mr. W.

Tony

Isn't the stat in the combustion chamber?

Mr. W.
I think so but want to know if it also called a limit stat for ordering part.

When you look through the sight glass is the pilot a strong flame and blue or is it a bit small lazy and yellow . Sounds more like the pilot is being pulled away from t/cople when main burner is on. Apollo pilot heads are pron to burning away you need an RGI to look at it

When you look through the sight glass is the pilot a strong flame and blue or is it a bit small lazy and yellow . Sounds more like the pilot is being pulled away from t/cople when main burner is on. Apollo pilot heads are pron to burning away you need an RGI to look at it
yes it is a weak looking yellow

only obvious stupid thing to check is that youve not got switch at high on the boiler instead of the low thermostat position, does switching these about make it last any less/longer?
if it lasts longer could be the main heat exchangers sludged up or the pumps not working too well or could be due to lack of maintainence and he pilots needing cleaned out/ oheat stat replacec

Ray

only obvious stupid thing to check is that youve not got switch at high on the boiler instead of the low thermostat position, does switching these about make it last any less/longer?
if it lasts longer could be the main heat exchangers sludged up or the pumps not working too well or could be due to lack of maintainence and he pilots needing cleaned out/ oheat stat replacec

Ray
I have replaced the limit stat and it it now working ok , thanks to all for their advice.Will need to replace later this year any recommendations for replacement boiler. I live in a terraced 3 bedroom house 1 long living room .kitchen,bathroom small hall and landing looking to pay about £500 to £650.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back