neutral

A two way switch is of course one which takes the incoming wire and switches it to either one of two possible ways. A three way switch would similarly switch to either one of three possible ways...but is not normal in house wiring.

Sounds terribly risky all this having three different sorts of electrical conductor wandering about the house. Never mind having half your equipment on one sort of plug (presumably!) and the rest on a different one. A tad inconvenient.

I have seen posts here complaining exactly as you say, that what is commonly called a neutral in uk house wiring should properly be called a live (or line) conductor. But Neutral is what everyone calls it. Happily everyone is right. The system is designed so that neutral currents will balance out, but they are not designed to do so within a house, rather within a housing estate.

Sponsored Links
After seeing that diagram I decided I should rewire my "receptacles" to this spec.

I removed all electrical accessories, but on inspection I could find neither a "hot" wire (mine were all at room temperature), nor a "high voltage" wire (mine were only at 238V, not the 100,000V or so required to be classified as "high voltage".).

I telephoned the NEC to ask them what I was doing wrong, but they said "We are an exhibition centre near Birmingham, why would we know?". In a brummy accent of course.

It says to "ground" wires. I wasn't sure what this meant, so I looked in an American dictionary and it said the verb "To ground" in the American dialect of English means "to not allow to go outside and play". So I have told my wires "You aren't allowed out for a week, mister".

I don't feel particularly happy about having no earthed wires though... :eek:

thanks for helping me out.
You're welcome Tom. By the way, the diagrams Ryan linked to were drawn up a couple of years ago to illustrate the various supply and earthing (grounding) methods used on British installations. I only sketched out the rough diagrams -- Credit goes to two other members of the forum for drawing them up neatly in AutoCAD.

All American residential supplies are equivalent to the British PME or TN-C-S arrangement. In fact the TT system which is common here in rural areas would not be allowed under the NEC anyway.

plugwash said:
i belive that 3 phase in the USA is uncommon in houses but common in commercial buildings and blocks of flats.

Yep. In fact the general philosophy of U.S. distribution differs somewhat. To feed a given number of homes. they use a larger quantity of smaller transformers compared to Britain, with single-phase transformers being the norm in residential areas. Contrast that with the British system which tends toward 3-phase distribution systems for all but the smallest groups of houses. Of course, given the way that homes in the U.S. tend to be much more widely spaced than here, that makes sense as it keeps the longer cable runs at higher voltages.

Commercial 3-phase supplies come in what might seem like a bewildering range of types compared to the British 240/415 system, The basic wye system is 208Y/120V as you describe, and for higher powers there is also a 480Y/277 service. Older 240 and 480V delta supplies can also be found in many areas, as can the uniquely North American "4-wire delta" system.

As commercial buildings supplied with higher voltages still need 120V for general small appliances, they may have either a transformer to step down to 208Y/120 or sometimes a second service from the utility (either 208Y/120 or maybe a 3-wire 120/240V one).

lectrician said:
Our distribution network uses the split phase very often, but only distributes one of the phases and the neutral to the property, so again, our neutral is carrying all the current until it hits the street.
There's quite a lot of 240/480V 3-wire distribution in my local area (rural Norfolk). You'll see it where there are maybe a dozen or two houses strung along a rural backroad fed by a quarter-mile 11kV spur line where the old Electricity Board didn't want to go to the expense of running a full 3-phase spur. Some of the farms do actually take a 3-wire service.

From the diagram above, It looked like there where two sides inside the board
I can certainly see how that diagram could lead to that impression.

Another American wiring method unknown in British homes (for obvious reasons) is the "multiwire" circuit, where a 3-wire branch circuit is used to feed only 120V loads. A typical application might be to feed a dishwasher and garbage disposal from a duplex receptacle (double socket) under a kitchen worktop.

A 3-conductor (plus ground) cable is run from panel to receptacles, with one half of the duplex on the black hot, the other half on the red. The neutral is shared, carrying the difference in current when both appliances are run simultaneously.

andrew2022 said:
, houses are fed from a 3 phase supply where all the neutral are together, so if there are 3 houses, all using the same current, then the neutral only carries the load to the neutral in the 3 phase cable, and not back to the transformer since its balanced, therefore it does only carry the unbalanced load
Ah, but out here in the boondocks we also have an odd one or two houses standing on their own fed from a simple 2-wire 240V secondary. ;)

{Edited to correct typo}

Sponsored Links
I think we all understand the inbalance bit - but, as said many times before - the majority (99%) of houses here have one phase and a neutral, so the neutral and the phase carry the same current.

We can see how your arrangement works, and understand that the neutral in your properties carries the imbalance current.

Incidently, I can draw phasor diagrams to figure out the resultant neutral for 3 phase supplies, how do you go about it for 'split' phase? (your supply method).

assuming the loads are resistive (which we tend to do in most house wiring calculations because stuff is close enough that its not worth working in complex impedence) then the neutral current in split phase is simply the difference between the two phase currents.

if the loads are capacitive or inductive you would have to work in phasors (btw i HATE drawing diagrams i would much rather just represent the phasors as complex numbers and calculate directly) with the two supply voltages 180 degrees apart (rather than 120 for three phase)

pretty simple really

Yep, just simple subtraction for loads with a unity power factor, just as it would be for a 3-wire DC system.

e.g. 240 watts on "phase" A, 60 watts on "phase" B

Ia = 240 / 120 = 2A
Ib = 60 / 120 = 0.5A

In = Ia - Ib = 1.5A

Yea, split phase is either just pull or push. I thought about it, and thought it was daft question afterwards!

Hi Tom, Happy Holiday Season to you too. But whatever you do, please don't mention outside Christmas Lights (see earlier post) :)

Or see mine at the ask the trades dot co dot uk site.

I had some american ones - during the rain last night, RCD poppped!

Yes, I simply use unity 1
1.oo for power factor, it gets me in the area for unbalanced current.
So that means we can reduce the size of the neutral conductor here in the
states.
Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back